Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

2011 Infiniti g37x sedan. Hazard lights won't turn off.

Customer Question

2011 Infiniti g37x sedan. Hazard lights won't turn off. Engine running or not.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Are you the original owner of the car? Let me know please..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Second owner. Owned for 3 years
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll be back in 10 mins
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

ok.. The only thing that can cause the hazards to flash the way you are describing is if the car has a after market alarm. They install after market alarms on these cars in order to have remote start work. You may not know it has this since you are the second owner. But if you do have it, all you would need to do is go to a alarm shop to have it reset. Then you would be able to use the remote start feature. Other wise, the after market alarm would need to be unplugged and disabled.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No alarm. New battery 3 weeks ago. Unmolested car. Original everything. Had no issues until today
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Normally the battery could set it off.

Do you hear clicking on and off like the Hazards are on?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Car starts normally. Clicks and flashes.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Does the clickingredients sound the same as the directionals?

Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Sorry, damn spell check.

Does the clicking you are hearing sound the same as the directionals? like from the same spot?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

If you don't have a after market alarm, I would check the hazard switch. if not the switch, the it has to be the Body Control Module , also known as the BCM

Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

There is no flasher relay. it is all controlled by the BCM

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Did my research and understand the bcm controls the flashers. Could a dealer just reprogram the bcm per the service bulletin that has been issued or do I need a new bcm.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there a wiring diagram I can acquire? I would be able to troubleshoot if I had one.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

There is no bulletin on this issue. If there is any updates, it would not fix this issue.

Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

I can share the wiring diagram if you are familiar with how to do electrical diagnostics. Hang on

Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Just let me know if this is a coupe or sedan?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ITB12-024 addresses the bcm issues. It is a sedan. Earlier today the car would start intermittently. It also was indicating steering wheel lock light on dash. That has somehow fixed itself. That's why I didn't add that part. That issue is what lead me to the service bulletin.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

That is for the ignition. Yes, that update could be done for that. But if this issue happens again, you could have a Steering lock control unit going. That is more common.

Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Getting the wiring diagram for you .. hang on.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A little background on myself: I am an aircraft avionics technician. Well versed in troubleshooting wire diagrams. If this were a 737 auto pilot issue it would be fixed by now.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Cool.. This type of issue would be much easier to check with a scanner. You can monitor the switch signal if you log into the BCM

That is the wiring diagram and I included some extra for you on this system

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Why is it called a multifunction switch? What are the other functions besides turning on hazards?
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

They call the directional switch the multi-function switch

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I fear there is nothing I can do without scanner for bcm
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

That is very likely.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The crazy thing is i will pay more per hour at dealer than I charge for working on 60 million dollar airplanes.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

I hear ya . but you know what it is like not to have the right tools for the job

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As soon as this is fixed I'm trading in for Audi. I have vag com that will scan all the modules. I have two Audi s-4's and they are awesome. Infinit was to up until today. This is nonsense what's going on.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Right tools is right. Sucks having the ability to comprehend and not have the right tools to fix.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll leave you alone for now. I will update you if you like on fix for this issue
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

I agree. You don't want to spend a ton for the tools either. Tools cost enough as it is.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Jay here was the fix. I brought to dealer for them to tell me what I already knew. It was the bcm. 975 fix they said. I told them to give me car back. I bought a used bcm for 65.00. During removal install I noticed some water on one of the upper connectors. I installed new bcm and needless to say the car wouldn't start. So I was going to put old bcm next to new just to get it to dealer. Being a genius that I am I took old bcm apart to see if water had damaged circuit board. I found that the water had probably been there a while due to the white powder "ei: corrosion" on some of the connections of the computer chips. I took a toothbrush and cleaned all the corrosion off and reinstalled old bcm. That action had fixed the problem!!!!!!!!! Now I have a spare bcm. I also blew out drains for sunroof and hopefully that solves the water intrusion.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

I am glad you got the problem resolved. It sounds like there was some water intrusion. You may want to check the harness where it snaps into the fire wall area under the wiper cowl on the passenger side. If not secured or if they ran a wire through it, that would allow water to come in.

Other wise, you may have had a flood issue.

As for that used BCM, that won't work unless you program the keys

Thanks Jay!