Mike V.
Mike V., Infiniti Mechanic
Experience:  Factory trained to repair Nissan and Subaru.
2921078

The fob button to unlock the trunk is temperamental. It

Customer Question

The fob button to unlock the trunk is temperamental. It worked just now, but hadn't for a couple weeks. Now it doesn't work again.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: No, but I've tried two fobs. The doors unlock, just not the trunk.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2004 g35 coupe
JA: Are you fixing your G35 Coupe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was thinking about it. Haven't done anything except remove liners inside the trunk
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

No need to request a phone call, but please give me a moment to type my response.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

Sorry for the delay, working through the wiring diagram.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm wondering if a wire isn't broken in the connection between the trunk lid and the body?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

That's what I am thinking, do you have any issues using the button inside the car?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

From what I can see in the wiring diagram the fob does the same thing as the button inside the car. It sends signal to the BCM to open the trunk. If you use the button inside, it does the same exact thing, so if both are giving you a problem, then it's quite likely a wire problem.

If only the fob is the problem, then I would say it's not the wiring, but a possible issue with the body control module. If you have a test light or volt meter and some time we can dig around and see which it is.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!