Mike V.
Mike V., Infiniti Mechanic
Experience:  Factory trained to repair Nissan and Subaru.
2921078

I was trying to sell my 2003 infiniti g35 but it failed

Customer Question

hi, I was trying to sell my 2003 infiniti g35 but it failed emmisions\ i received the code p0011
JA: Was the replacement the same quality as the original?
Customer: what replacement?
JA: Are you fixing your G35 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no unfortunately idk much about cars im wondering where to take it for a diagnostic and if its worth it to even fix before selling or trading into a dealer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope that's it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

Does the car run ok?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

How does the car run? Is it running ok?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it does but the service engine light is
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

Ok

please give me a moment to type out my answer.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

Ok

Since the car seems to be running normally, this is probably a sensor gone bad.

There are 2 sensors involved here, one is the cam position sensor, the other is what we call the intake timing control solenoid. A scan tool that can see the input from both of these is needed to determine what is going on.

This could be a low cost ($150) repair, so I wouldn't go to trading it in just yet unless you want to get rid of the car.

Any shop with a good scan tool can diagnose the car and give you an estimate before doing any work at all, and at that time you can decide if you want to keep the car or not.

Since the car seems to be running fine, it is highly unlikely to me that this is going to be a major timing chain type of problem costing a couple thousand dollars.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no answer?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

Sorry, I didn't realize you are trying to actually sell the car.

Since you want to sell it, then you could sell it as is and give the buyer a couple hundred dollar discount and let them handle the repair aspect.