Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Car slipped in 3rd gear of my 06 coupe 5AT as if it wanted

Customer Question

Car slipped in 3rd gear of my 06 coupe 5AT as if it wanted to shutdown
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: No...
JA: Are you fixing your Coupe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing happened on my way to work
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on when the car is running? How many miles do you have on the car?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No i don't & it has bout 145,000
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have already replaced the cam sensor
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Cam sensor is not going to make the car slip in 3rd gear, but a after market Cam Sensor can certainly keep the car stalling. Did you have a Cam Sensor code? Was that why you replaced it? Where did you get the sensor?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No codes or anything & replaced sensor 4months ago. Would crank sensor cause it to do that while im driving it in stick mode
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Oh, if you are switched into manual mode, you could have a bad manual mode switch causing that. That does not throw a Service Engine Soon light. But you should have it scanned for a code for that.

As for the Cam sensor you installed, where did you buy it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Autozone of course
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Well I can certainly say this. When you get after market electrical parts, like the cam sensor, very and I mean very often they do not work. They can continue to cause stalling, or cause intake timing codes which can make you think there is a issue with the timing chains when there isn't , or simply still allow stalling or hard starting with no codes. So the first thing I would recommend is if you put a after market cam sensor in the car, replace it with one from the dealer. That should cover the stalling or hard starting you may be having. As for the slipping, if it's just in Manual mode, that could be a bad manual mode switch in the shifter. But should be checked the proper way to determine if its a signal issue, or something internal in the transmission causing that.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

This is something at the dealer we run into often. A stalling issue after Cam Sensors have been done. It normally takes a month or two for the sensor to start acting up. But seen it a number of times that if a customer brings in a car for a stalling issue, I check the Cam Sensors for this particular logo. If the logo is not on it, then it's after market and would need to be replaced.

Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The cam sensor want make it slip in gear & almost shutdown CEL light came on when car acted as if it wanted to shutdown & slip in gear
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

When the car almost stalls, the warning lights may flicker. The Cam Sensor will not cause the transmission to slip, but can cause the car to almost stall or stall, or give the car a hard start.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It slipped in gear the reason it almost shutdown. Wondering will the crank sensor or the mode switch cause that or is that a sign that y tranny is going out
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Car drives fine in AT & did that today. Will a code come up for y it slipped
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Crank sensors are rare. But if your not getting any codes, I would suspect the Cam sensor you installed.

As for the trans slipping, that should be checked before it gets worse.

Do you have any more questions on this?