Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

I have a 2007 Fx35 and I'm trying to diagnose shaking while

Customer Question

Hey, I have a 2007 Fx35 and I'm trying to diagnose shaking while braking. The car has 75k miles. The steering wheel shakes while braking from really any speed.
6 months ago we had the original rotors resurfaced and new pads and the issue was better briefly then got worse. Yesterday, I decided to have the shop install new rotors front and rear, as well as new tires. The steering wheel is still shaking while braking.
While pulling up to a red light, the brakes have a slight pulse all the way until you come to a complete stop.
I have a 6mo baby that rides in the car and I really need to figure it out. I am guessing there is a bad wheel bearing, but the car doesn't make ANY unusual noises. Any insight would be much appreciated!
BTW, I saw this thread But my symptoms are slightly different.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Matt replied 7 days ago.

I'd say to 1st check the mounting face of the disc rotors as if there's some dirt or debris on the face then the disc rotor will not be bolted up square and true and this will produce the same effect as a warped rotor

this can also be verified by doing a 'run-out' measurement as shown in the attached image

if this is OK then I'd check the condition of the suspension joints

jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault. If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 days ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Matt, I've been out of town. I'm going to try your suggestions tomorrow and report back. Thank you!
Expert:  Matt replied 3 days ago.