john aka eautp
john aka eautp, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years ase certified

I have a 2001 infinity qx4. 129000 miles. check engine light

Customer Question

i have a 2001 infinity qx4. 129000 miles. check engine light is on and reads tourqe converter code.
Symptoms are shuttering while driving intermittently over 45mph. Now is progressing to a jerk when vehicle is in park, and engine is turned off, a sudden jerk from tranny as soon as engine cuts off. Are these the symptons of a tourqe converter before I spend money in this job?
Thanks. Robert
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  john aka eautp replied 5 days ago.

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. exact code number?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto

Customer: replied 5 days ago.

P0744 code is for improper lockup operation. Normally when you get this code it means the transmission has a internal failure.

The shutter is generally converter failure

Possible causes for this code is Torque converter and or clutch solenoid on the valve body, a bad clutch in the trans or Hydraulic control issue.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
That's what i was thinking also. Best solutions before it deteriorates is to replace the torque converter?
Also is there any other things that I should try first before going through with this process? (changing clutch solenoid or swaping out TCM)

exactly.. no it sounds like converter... id drain the fluid and look for conatmination first..if converter debris is in the transmission...the transmission will need a full rebuild....
Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
ok thanks will five star you on Thursday.
Robert Thanks