Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 year as a ASE Tech
7276279

I have a 2006 Infiniti M35 Base model. It has about 117,00

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2006 Infiniti M35 Base model.
It has about 117,00 miles on it.
Recently Ive been hearing what sounds like lifters or valves much louder than what im used to. While idling it is not too loud, but on acceleration it becomes louder. I thought maybe the oil change place possibly put in the wrong oil (ive been using Mobil one 5/30 full synthetic for about a year and nevee had these issues.) So i had them redo the oil change. The sound is still there. I have an appt. to bring the car in to the dealership service center tomorrow morning.
I was told by a mechanic that it could be that the valves may need adjustment.
I want to get some info on required maintenance on this vehicle so I dont go in there blind.
Is getting the valves adjusted a routine maintenance for this vehicle?
Also, ive been hearing a fluttering noise inside the cab while the car is running, especially after it warms up. I was told that it is the fuel dampener.
Is this something I should be worried about?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

After having 117,000 miles on the engine have the valves ever been adjusted?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I bought the car at 89000 miles and sont know the maintenance done previous to that. But the valves have not been adjusted between 89000 and 117000.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

If you have 117K on it then its is very likely they are due for an adjustment and that is likely the noise you are hearing. This would not cause a fluttering noise .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Ron. So I took the m35 in to the service center. They made the diagnosis that ilthe sounds im hearing are worn lifters. The tech said it doesnt sound that bad, and he recommends keeping the oil level full and to check constantly. The quote for them to work on the car is $9000. He says that there are other cars that have come in with the same problem, and the owners have continued running it as is, keeping a close eye on the oil levels and have gotten 30-60000 more miles out of the engine before it needed repair. He also said that the valves are not adjustable on this car.
At this point I am not sure what to do. Im not going to pay them 9k.
So I guess I just need to keep going and keep checking the oil. Unless you have another suggestion.
Do you know where I can purchase a service manual for this vehicle?
I know a mechanic that said he would be able to work on it if he had the manual.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Not being there to hear it myself then I would do as he has recommended. You should be able to purchase the manual from your dealer and or there source.