Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Possibly in limp mode? Starts OK, can drive very slowly, but

Possibly in limp mode? Starts OK, can drive very slowly, but then everything cuts out. No engine lights on?
JA: Has your vehicled stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: It stalls consistently when trying exceeding maybe 15 mph. No testing yet, Still in my garage at home. Would disconnecting and reconnecting the battery do any good? Don't drive it much and did put a charger on it a while back.
JA: What is the model of your '15 Infiniti?
Customer: 09 G37 convertible
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet at all. Just happened last week
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: How this site works?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When it stalls everything cuts off immediately. Even the dash lights. Seems more electrical than mechanical. Would disconnecting and reconnecting the battery do any good? Thanks,

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

Are you the original owner? and how many miles are on the car?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. About 68000

How long have you owned the car? At what mileage did you buy the car?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
About 5 months, only driven it about 1200 miles. Ran OK driving it back from Illinois where I bought it.

Remove the oil cap and look into the engine with a flash light and see if you see signs of sludge please..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Looks clean to my eye, oil on dipstick looks pretty clean too. I might add I can rev it up in park and it seems normal. Only when engaged in drive on the road does it cut out.

Is this a stick or automatic transmission? No Service Engine Soon light right?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Automatic. No service engine or other warning lights on
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oil changed about 2000 miles ago

Does it stall as soon as the car is put in gear? or does it stall when coming to a stop?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No check engine light on either
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can drive it real slowly, but approaching maybe 20 mph it cuts right out. More of an electric cutoff than an engine stall, as all dash lights go out also. Can be restarted OK.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Puzzling because I can rev it up some in park, and everything seems OK, no hint of cutoff or stall when in park. ??
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It almost feels like a weird anti theft device kicking in. Hope you can help.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Does not cut out when being put into gear.

Does it cut out like someone has turned the key off? or does it bog ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Cuts right off like an electrical shut off. No sputtering or bogging.

That sounds like possibly a bad torque converter. That could cause that you are experiencing, and yet as long as the car is not engaged into gear it could rev up fine.

I would strongly recommend to have it double checked. But that is what I would check for this issue based on the information I am getting from you on this.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can the torque converter go bad just like that with low miles? No hints of problems beforehand?

Yes it can. Low miles or not, it is something that can happen at any time, regardless of mileage.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I should take it to a transmission shop then?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would there be a corresponding trouble code if indeed it were the torque converter??

torque converter wont set codes. The dealer would be best to help isolate the issue in my opinion. You have a 6 year or 70k miles warranty on the powertrain, so it's possible that it could be under warranty depending on the in service date.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK thanks!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That is all for this evening.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!