Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer

I cannot start the engine. Battery is good, but pressing the

Customer Question

I cannot start the engine. Battery is good, but pressing the Start button does nothing.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes, battery is good, lights turn on, door locks work. It started yesterday I was driving > 1hr home, dashboard stopped working and was dark, but motor worked. I was unable to stop the motor. I pulled out some fuses to stop the engine at night, and disconnected the battery
JA: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?
Customer: M35x 2006
JA: Are you fixing your M35x yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried to do what I can. Checked the fuses, disconnected the battery to avoid discharge at night (ingnition was "on")
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It happens occasionally in the past few month, then goes away. Now it is really persistent. Normally the dashboard "dies" when driving (but I still can drive and the lights are on) but I cannot turn off ingnition until the issue goes away, normally it takes less that an hour
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 16 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a volt meter?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I do have a volt meter
Expert:  Jay replied 16 days ago.

With the car running, attach the volt meter to the battery for me and let me know how many volts it reads. Then turn the head lights on, AC on and rear defrost and then take note of the voltage reading and return back with the lights off and lights on voltage readings for me please..