Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

My car steering wheel is locked and brake pedal is locked

Customer Question

Hi my car steering wheel is locked and brake pedal is locked and will not come on. I thought it was the key fob and replaced the battery but that was not the issue either.
JA: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?
Customer: there is the key to turn it is a push start
JA: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?
Customer: 2008 m35x
JA: Are you fixing your M35x yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it is currently stuck in the grocery store parking lot, we came out of the store and the key fob would not unlock the door so I manually unlocked the door and the car will not start. Everything else comes on the brake will not push down it is hard as a rock.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Does the brake lights work when you step on the brake pedal?

Also did you put the remote into the Fob slot to see if it would start?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did. Yes the brake light comes on, slip light, ADC light ABS light and AFC light all come on
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Do you hear a single click when you try to start it by any chance?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
brake lights doesn't come on when you step on brake, all of the lights come on when the car is turned to on
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No didn't hear any click the brake pedal won't push down for me to start it
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Oh, they don't come on? That is a indication of a bad Brake Switch. This is what detects when you are stepping on the brake pedal. This signal is required to start the car. That is why everything else is working. Try tapping on the brake pedal and see if you can get the lights to come on. If they come on, then see if it starts.

The pedal will get hard after a few pumps. That is normal. It will just require a little more pressure to push

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I tapped on the brake pedal for on and off for two hours and light doesn't come on while tapping on the petal. I pushed down on the pedal with both feet and so did my husband. Will the pedal release pressure after time
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Then you will need a brake switch. The part is around 30 bucks. How handy is your husband?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He does most of the work to the car. Is it something we can do versus going to the dealer
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Absolutely. If he is that handy it would take him less than 20 mins to change. This switch is inside the car down by the brake pedal. There are two switches down there. One for the Cruise Control, so it cancels when the brake pedal is pressed, the other is the brake switch. The brake switch is normally the one on the top. It just unplugs then turn counter clockwise to unlock it. It will spring up. Then when you insert the new one, you would push it all the way down so the switch is fully depressed, then turn it clockwise to lock it in place.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The key fob isn't working at all and we changed the battery
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Does the dash still come on when you try to start it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
dash comes on
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we are with the car now and the brakes lights do come on and the dash comes on
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Do you hear a single click when you attempt to start it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No click at all.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

This may be easier to help you if I am able to speak with you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if the brake switch is the issue we can fix that but the key fob still isn't working which was how everything started
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

The key fob has a battery in it. Start by changing that, and check all fuses.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The battery was the first thing we changed and it is still not working
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Battery for the car, or for the remote?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Battery for remote. Car battery is new
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Did this remote issue start after the car battery was changed?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No it happened today. The battery was replaced 3 months ago
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

You don't want to speak on the phone about this? I could get into more detail and it would be much quicker.

Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Were all fuses checked with a test light? Inside the car and under the hood?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No we didn't check any fuses. The car is in a grocery store parking lot
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

The remotes not working, Car not starting and if all fuses are good would normally indicate a Body Control Module failure. The BCM ( Body Control Module ) is what controls the remotes and it's ability to lock and unlock doors, and to start the car.

It may require you to go back tomorrow to spend time to check fuses. Make sure the ignition is on when you check them. If they are all good, that would point to the BCM. Which will require the car to be towed, then BCM replaced. Once replaced all the Keys will need to be programmed to the car and all TPMS sensors reprogrammed to the car.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have one more question. I drove thru flood water last night and the car started acting up right after. Could the water have affected the bcm system
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Did the engine stall and not run since?? How high was the water you went through? Did water enter the car?