Mike V.
Mike V., Infiniti Mechanic
Experience:  Factory trained to repair Nissan and Subaru.
2921078

2004 Infiniti FX35 I'm having 2 very inconvenient problems.

Customer Question

2004 Infiniti FX35
I'm having 2 very inconvenient problems.
1. Door Locks - most problematic is the rear hatch. Right now it will not open without using the manual latch, which is no help unless you are sitting in the rear hatch. We have had intermittent problems w/ the automatic door locks only locking certain doors, but it has been intermittent with the driver's side door the biggest offender (usually locking and not unlocking), but right now the hatch won't open unless manually released. The problem started in the opposite where it wouldn't close. When I jiggled manual release it locked, but won't open.
2. Gas Gauge - The gas gauge is always under representing the amount of gas...worse and worse now. Typically is on E - with the light on.
We spec'ed out the repair cost with the dealer and they are pretty astronomical, especially considering the amount of people who have these problems with this specific car. I'm looking to see what I can possibly do myself.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Is the check engine light on with the fuel gauge code?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Also, do you hear any sounds when you try unlocking the doors/hatch?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No check engine lightYes, there are clicks, just not at the hatch any more...the other doors are still intermittent.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Ok

It sounds like the rear hatch latch assembly is the problem back there. I think this is something you could change. My problem is intermittent sound from the doors. That indicates that the BCM is not always sending signal out to the doors. I suspect they are wanting to replace the BCM to try and resolve this issue? This would make sense to me, BUT and it may seem stupid, but it could be a weak battery in the key fob causing the problem honestly or a bad key fob, so I would start with a new battery and using a different fob if you have it available.

Safe to assume they want to replace the fuel level sensors to try and resolve the fuel problem?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is involved in fixing the rear hatch assembly? Is this something I can do myself? I replaced the batteries recently and I believed that has helped, but I will have to check with my wife.This was their email for the quote:
The two front doors are $420.00 per door, plus $210.00 labor per door.
The rear doors have different costs:
The left rear door part is $594.00 plus $210.00 labor per door
The right rear door part is $548.00 plus $210.00 labor per door
The Trunk is $450.00 for the part, and $98.00 for labor. Total $548.00.
The test to see what the issue is with my gas sensor is $140.00
It could be one of the two scenarios or both simultaneously, which would really be expensive if it were both.
If it is a sender issue then it is $933.00 for parts and labor
If it is a gage issue then it is $1,243.00 for parts and labor
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Ok, first off it's very unlikely there are issues with each individual lock actuator in my opinion. Just seems very unlikely to me.

As for the sending unit/fuel issue. This is worth your money to have them investigate. You can likely change either of the problems they are suggesting and of course, an independent shop could also do the work to say you some money. If it's the gauge, it's that expensive because it's the whole instrument cluster. The sending units, one is just a sending unit, the other is the fuel pump module and sending unit. Before you sink any money you want a proper diagnosis. That would be worth the money.

The rear hatch, if you can open it, it's not a huge job. You do have to remove the interior trim, then in all honestly its only a few bolts holding it in place and it is as simple as un bolting, disconnecting a couple cables and electrical connections and just reversing the procedure when you put it back together.

Usually it's about an hour to do that one.

Their labor charges seem a bit high but not HUGE, mostly parts are the cost. You could use an independent shop and aftermarket fuel pump and sending unit to save some money there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Am I replacing the back door opener switch or the lock and closure assembly? Where would be the best place to purchase the parts?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

I am sooo sorry, I lost my internet connection last night.

It looks to me like you replacing the opener switch. Since you don't have any sounds back there. We could check this with a test light and some wiring.

As for this part, i would google it. You will likely find better dealer prices and possibly even find a used one if you ant to go that route. I am showing this part to be $450 in my labor guide