adamfeather, Technician
Experience:  Master automotive technician ,ASE master certified,associates degree in automotive technology

2004 Infiniti Q45. I am in process of replacing the power

Customer Question

2004 Infiniti Q45. I am in process of replacing the power steering pump, but cant tell what the proper procedure or sequence of steps to remove mounting bolts is. It's crowded down there !
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: Loud whining noises, pump froze and snapped drive belt.
JA: Are you fixing your Q45 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have opened up the area around the pump (removed UNDER covers, etc) but now NEED to determine exactly HOW I SHOULD PROCEED TO REMOVE THE PUMP AND ASSOCIATED DRIVE PULLEY.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  adamfeather replied 1 month ago.
Hello. My name is***** have an associates degree in automotive technology, ASE certified with 15 years in the field. I'll be happy to assist. Allow me a moment to gather your information.
This should be what you are looking for. The factory diagrams and instructions assume this isn't your first time doing it so it seems a bit complex. Start with the belts and keep everything organized as you go and you should be fine. They can be a bit difficult do to the lack of space. Hope this answers your question!! Feel free if you need anything else I'll be glad to assist.
The power steering instruction are lacking without any pictures. Some manufactures provide better but this is what infiniti issues.
Here is an exploded view to help you picture where the bolts are. Notice at the bottom right of the diagram you can see the bolts that attach the pump to the bracket are behind the pulley. You'll need to put the right length socket or socket and extention combination through the holes of the pulley to loosen and remove the bolts. Happy wrenching and hope this is helpful!!