Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

It sounds like a tapping which I will assume is a rocker arm

Customer Question

It sounds like a tapping which I will assume is a rocker arm is broken. I just don't know if they even have them lol..
JA: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?
Customer: 2003 infiniti g35
JA: Are you fixing your G35 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I actually changed the spark plugs and then it started that sound. I searched around and figured I gapped them wrong . I re did everything to spec and i still get that sound
JA: How many miles are on the car? When did you last change the plugs?
Customer: 220k :(
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: would it be easier to just get a new engine instead of trying to wrench on it.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Why would you assume that a part that you cant even say for sure exists is causing a noise?

Can you better describe the noise?

Is there any other symptoms?

Is the check engine light on?

Can you try to narrow down where on the engine the noise is coming from?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had an error code ( mis fire cyl #1) so I took the plug out and saw that it needed replacing so I did them all. When I started engine it started making a tapping sound like if you took a hammer and started tapping it on the engine. I want to say it's coming from the driver side but hard for me to tell. check engine light is still on. Plugs are gapped properly and have been torqued to spec. btw we used to have a road runner and when you took the heads off and turned the car on you could hear the rocker arms tapping away..

I can assure you you didnt hear anything with the heads off ;) You mean the valve covers Im sure.

Are you able to check the codes right now? Are you certain you didnt lose anything in one of the spark plug holes while you had them out?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
valve covers! lol..Yes I'm very sure I didn't drop anything. I did them 1 at a time and put a cloth over the hole so I didn't do that. I don't have the reader now. It was burnig through oil in between oil changes too. I would have to add a quart and a half just to get to 4000 miles............I guess what I'm after is would it be worthwhile for me to take the valve cover off and see or just find a new (used) engine..

If its going through a quart and a half of oil in 4000 miles you are probably best off putting your money towards a lower mileage salvage engine. Especially if you are capable of putting it in yourself. That engines seen better days and the knock sounds pretty serious from what you describe though without hearing it myself I could be off base on that one.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no that's fine thank you for your help

No problem. Just reply if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you today. Thanks