sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

2003 Infiniti G35 cooling fan. I have a 2003 G35 that

Customer Question

2003 Infiniti G35 cooling fan.
I have a 2003 G35 that suffered an impact on the front-underneath. It broke the radiator, radiator support, condenser, and fan blade, among other things.
An electric cooling fan for this car is cheaper than a mechanical fan blade. I think the early '03s had the blade with fan clutch, while the laters went to electric.
When I took the radiator support out, I noticed a 4 wire connector that was not connected to anything. It has 2 black with/yellow stripe wires, a pink, and a green wire. I believe this to be a condenser fan connector.
My question is this; Can I put an electric fan on this car in lieu of the fan blades? Does this fan connector run only on the AC system, or is it also tied into the engine coolant temperature?
If it is for AC only, can I wire this into coolant temp sensor for my desired use?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

If the vehicle was equipped with a mechanical fan but had the wiring for an electric fan, even if an electric fan was installed it wouldn't work. If it wasn't designed to operate an electric fan then the engine controller wouldn't have a way to know an electric fan is in place or control it. If you wanted to convert to an electric fan you could install an aftermarket fan controller and wire it up to work with both a/c and coolant temperature, but by the time you bought a fan, controller and spent the time wiring it up I doubt you'd be saving any money and certainly not time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Problem I have with that answer is that apparently the engine control module is the same from '04 and '05.
Which would mean it would simply have to be reprogrammed like the US manufacturers do, IF there is any difference. The difference in part numbers I come up with depend on a standard or automatic transmission.
I guess I'll wait 'til I get it running and test voltage at the connector and see if it powers up with the AC on. If the ECU controls ground only to the fan, then that is a simple fix.
I'll call a dealer tomorrow and talk to someone in service.
Thanks for the answer at any rate.

Whether the part number of the ECM is the same or not isn't relevant. Hardware can be the same for ten years or more, vehicle specific programming changes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Which is exactly my point. If it's only programming, it's not a problem.
If a dealer puts a ecm on an '04 g35 and it's the same part number as the '03, then they have to reprogram the ecm for that specific car. which means mine can also be reprogrammed.
To be honest with you sprinkles, I'm not sure why you responded to my answer. You didn't tell me how the car runs that connector, you didn't tell me if it was active or simply not connected, and you didn't even offer a wiring diagram for it.
You didn't come close to answering my question. Hate to hurt your feelings, but you have been no help at all.

Module software is VIN specific. They can't program your vehicle to be another.

I did answer your question. Your question was if you could simply plug a fan into this connector and have it work. The answer to that is no. I explained why it would not work and gave another alternative to make an electric fan work instead of repairing it correctly.