Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I need to replace my catalytic converter, and I'd like to do

Customer Question

Hi! I need to replace my catalytic converter, and I'd like to do it myself. What would I need as new parts to go with this?
JA: Has the vehicle been "scoped out"?
Customer: Well, after having to pay a small fortune having the cars wiring and computer replaced, the check engine light came on after a few days of it being fixed. I took it back to the dealer, hoping that the problem had something to do with that they did. Nope! Code indicated catalytic converter, and another almost 2,000 to have that done, after just spending over 3,000 for the previous repair, I just can't afford it, and would like to do it myself. It looks like unscrew bolts and remove old one, and put in new one and replace the bolts.
JA: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?
Customer: 2005 fx35, with only 78,000 miles. I thought that it would last a long time.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Oh, yes, I want to try unbolting old cat and put on a new one. I haven't tried anything so far.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Besides that I am dead broke and really couldn't afford the wiring/computer repair?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

When ever you are dealing with exhaust bolts, you always want to use a torch to heat up the nuts so they can be removed. Other wise if you try to remove them, the bolts could break. This type of job I don't really recommend you try doing at home. I try to approach it like this. Would this be a job I would do at my house with all my tools. I have changed a ton of Catt converters on Fx's and G's ( which are pretty much the same ) and I would not attempt it at home. Just to give you a idea on how I feel about it. I would want a torch to ensure I can get it done properly with out a issue.

Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay