Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

My infiniti qx56 (2008) would not shift into R or P. Have

Customer Question

My infiniti qx56 (2008) would not shift into R or P. Have had no problems with the way it was running prior to this. The climiate control went off at the same time and the AC would not turn on
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: no leaking. The car is 2008
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We opened the shift lock to get it released and into P. yes if we can fix ourselves we would like to. Was told it could be a fuse
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Once we put it in P it doesn't come out of P unless we use the shift release
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Does your Brake lights work when you step on the brakes?

Also, do you hear a click by the shifter when you step on the brakes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the brake lights work. I did not hear a click by the shifter but the car was not running. Did you mean when it was running. Brake seemed a little harder to push
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

Yes try with it running, or with the key ON

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My husband just tried it and said yes he hears a click
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

I take it the Radio works properly and the rear hatch, correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Radio works properly. Rear hatch opens manually. We are not able to to use the remote to open the hatch or the button
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

Thank you. So the issue is not a fuse cause the shift lock solenoid gets it's power from a fuse the radio shares. So if the radio is working, that means it's not a fuse.

Since you are hearing the click it sounds like the solenoid for the shift lock is working, but not releasing the lock on the shifter. The only way to correct this is to replace the whole shifter assembly I am afraid. That is what you will need to replace to resolve your issue.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What does something like that cost?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
would that cause the climate control to not work. At the same time this happened I could not get the A/C to work. Although I pushed the button the a/c light would not light up. None of the buttons in the climate control would work. This has never happened before eithee
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

Do you have a test light to check all fuses? I was not aware there was other things not working.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
my husband does. He has not tested the bigger fuses. And sorry. I did tell the assistant about the climate control when I first emailed. I apologize that wasn't conveyed
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

Since you are getting a click by the shifter, I don't think it's a fuse. But as for your air controller, that may be a separate issue. I am limited to one topic per question. But I would start with turning the key to the ON position and checking all fuses inside the truck and under the hood to see if they are all good.

Does he know how to check fuses with a test light?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he does
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

Then lets check all fuses as a starting point and let me know how he makes out.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. It is getting late and we both her to work early in the morning. Can he check them tomorrow and then respond
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

ok