Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer

The keyless red light is flashing and the car won't start.

Customer Question

The keyless red light is flashing and the car won't start. We unplugged the battery and reconnected it. Still nothing.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: Yes. Both fob's won't respond.
JA: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?
Customer: 2013 QX56
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Disconnected the battery
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: When I tap the break the brake lights do come on so we didn't really think it could be the battery The car won't shift in to neutral either.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If you don't step on the brake pedal and press the start button two times, does the ignition come on? Also does the head lights come on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll try it
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

ok, I will be asking questions to try to get a idea of what the vehicle is doing so I can instruct you on what the issue could be.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nothing came on. Headlights do not turn on either
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. It sounds like the battery is dead on the truck since the head lights do not come on. The first thing I would try to do is see if you can charge the battery or jump start the truck. If you have a Road Side service that can try to jump start you, I would try that as well. Once jumper cables are connected to your truck, if you can turn the head lights on, and they come on, that verifies the battery is dead. The red security light blinking is a normal operation. It takes almost no voltage for it to blink. So what ever life is left in the battery can certainly make that light still blink.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The brake lights come on when I push them. Does that make a difference?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if it were the battery, should it let me put the car in neutral?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

I use the head lights as a gauge. The brake lights could work. But if the ignition does not turn on, the brake switch will not release the shift lock so the truck can be put into neutral. If you need to put the truck in to neutral, there is a small cap towards to top left that is removed and you insert a small screw driver into the slot and press down to allow the manual release to release the lock so you can put the truck into neutral. Simply putting jumper cables on the truck could verify your battery as your issue. If the head lights turn on, just leave the cables hooked up on the truck for about 10 mins before you attempt to start it.

I am still here if you have any more questions on this, and would like to know how you make out.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please answer those questions.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

I did answer those questions. The brake lights do not use as much voltage as the head lights. That is why I asked about the head lights. I also explained how to put the truck into neutral

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks. The answers just refreshed. Waiting on my husband to get home to jump car. Could be an hour. Can I still contact you if there is still a problem?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Sure.. not a problem. To return back to this question to let me know how you made out, or if you have any more questions on this, all you need to do is log back into and go to My Questions. That is where you would find this question so you can return back.