Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Changed the hub assembly, did not replace the abs sensors,

Customer Question

Changed the hub assembly, did not replace the abs sensors, and now the abs, Vsc, awd lights are on. The hubs were aftermarket parts, sensors are the originals. From what we can tell, no broken sensors. What's the problem?
Category: Infiniti
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The lights turn off when we first start driving, as soon as we brake, the abs kicks in, even at slow speeds and dry conditions, and all the lights come back on.
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Good morning,

The first thing you should do is see if any trouble codes are setting in the OBDII system. This will give us an idea which sensor is acting up. That way we will be able to tell if the aftermarket hubs are to blame or if it's a bad sensor.

Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

When you replace the Wheel bearing or Hub assemblies the abs sensor has to be removed other wise you will break the sensor. So if you did not have a ABS light on before the bearing was done and do now, the sensor was most likely broken cause they did not remove it when they did the bearing which would make them responsible for the breaking of the sensor.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The sensors were removed then put back into the new hubs.
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

If they removed it, make sure you have the proper hub. If it doesn't have the magnetic pickup for the sensor to read properly, then the hub would need to be changed to the proper hub

Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Somehow Jay jumped in on my answer. I'm sorry if it looks confusing- that typically doesn't happen.

Do you know the part number for the replacement hubs that you used?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
PM590125
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

I found that number available in TIMKEN. It appears to be correct and there aren't multiple model options (such as one without ABS, one with).

I think your best bet is to get a hold of a scan tool and see if you can get it to display a readout on the speed sensors. That way you will be able to tell if one or more isn't working.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No one is able to tell me if the part is compatible to read the sensor but they've confirmed its the correct part.
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

One would assume the speed sensor would work with it especially since the tone ring (the part that generates the signal for the speed sensor to pick up) isn't part of the hub on this model. The tone ring is on the axle shaft.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The tone is in the hub for this. We tried changing the sensors, no go. It took putting genuine parts on for the problem to go away. Aftermarkets didn't work with the sensors.
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

According to the Timken site the tone ring wasn't part of the hub- maybe what they meant was it wasn't compatible with speed sensors on this model. Some Timken stuff is really good, others just don't work. I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Please let me know if you need help in the future.

Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Did you need any additional help with your vehicle? Please don't forge to rate if I have been of some assistance.