Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer

2002 I35 warmed-up engine experiences erratic idle and

Customer Question

2002 I35 warmed-up engine experiences erratic idle and stalling when at a standstill. Will usually happen while waiting at a stoplight for more than 10 seconds. Runs beautifully at regular roadway/highway speeds and has plenty of power. Did throw a code P0174 awhile back which I cleared. Hasn't returned since. MAF was replaced a year ago due to a similar idling problem. I find it odd that the car is fine for the first 10 seconds after coming to a stop and then it wants to stall.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The MAF sensor you replaced a year ago, where did you get it? The fact it acts up at idle I have a test we can perform which may isolate your issue.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Jay.
Thanks for your quick reply. I purchased the MAF from item # ULTRA-POWER 917889
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. I am currently working.

When it comes to after market MAF sensors ( which is ones from Rock Auto ) they never work properly. To verify that you have a MAF sensor not metering air properly since you have issues at idle. Before starting the car unplug the MAF sensor and then start the car. Do not drive the car like this, this is only a test. You can put it in gear to see if it idles smooth or not. If the engine idles smooth, then you have verified your MAF sensor is not metering air properly. So lets try that and let me know how it runs with the MAF sensor unplugged

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will certainly try that test. I need to be sure that the engine is warmed up and in closed-loop mode first right?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Yes, warm it up first, then try this