sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a Infiniti 37x I just put a water pump and out side

Customer Question

Hello again I have a Infiniti 37x I just put a water pump and out side timing chain the long one I went buy the book and lined up all the color codes I turned the engine over by hand to se if anything was hitting everything turned over perfect however no matter how many times I turn turn the motor the marks never seem to come back the way I set them does this matter or is it normal I'm sure I had everything right in the beginning. Thanks dom
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

I don't think you have an issue, as long as the marks lined up correctly initially. After turning the engine two revolutions what would matter is the direction of the marks rather than if they lined back up to colored links. In the cases of plated links being used to set initial timing, it can take dozens of revolutions to get the plated links to line up to the marks again due to the ratios of the pulleys. If you had it set up initially correctly and the marks lined up with no slack in the chain, it felt good through two revolutions of the crank, then you shoudl be find.