Mike V.
Mike V., Infiniti Mechanic
Experience:  Factory trained to repair Nissan and Subaru.
2921078

Have a 06 infinity g35 I have no spark?

Customer Question

have a 06 infinity g35 I have no spark?
Category: Infiniti
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
im still waiting since 8am
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

I am sorry you have had to wait so long, I hadn't seen your post before this.

Do you happen to know if you have any codes stored?
Is the check engine light coming on when you turn the key on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the engine ligth comes on and when i try to star it the light blinks no codes
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Ok

Do you have a test light?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Ok,

First thing to do is see if there is power out at the coils. Check and see if there is power with the key on.

Also, is the car a coupe or sedan?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
coupe i have power and ground at all coils when key on
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Ok

Its the computers job to ground the coils to send signal and make them fire. Since the check engine light is flashing I suspect you have an issue with the ecm relay in the IPDM. The large fuse and relay box under the hood. Try swapping the fog light relay with the ecm relay and see if the car will start.

I have to check and see if I have a diagram for the IPDM. They didn't provide one for every car in the manual. Give me a few minutes to see what I can come up with.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
can you send me a picture to see the location of the relays
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

I am trying to locate the diagram right now. Please stand by.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Ok, here is a diagram of the IPDM terminal arrangement. I highlighted the 2 you should swap. The IPDM is mounted in the passenger side rear corner of the engine room.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did this an no luck car still have no spark
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

That being the case I would assume the ecm itself is the problem.

It would store codes for the cam and crank sensors if they were a problem. Unless you recently had the flywheel off for some reason I think you have a bad computer happening here.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i have no codes and the car just started like it had a misfire and a little later after the car did not start the customer already put a crank sensor cam sensor coil fuel pump and no luck
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Well, the check engine light flashing has to be something going on with the computer if it's not the power supply to the computer causing it. Might want to try swapping the ignition relay to be sure, but sounds like the ecm is bad. I hate to tell you they are bad as much as the next guy, lol. But if it's not the ecm relay that really seems like the next step here.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
swap the ignition relay and if thats not the problem the ecu is
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

In my opinion yes, and the thing is the ecm has to be reprogrammed for the keys.

But you should still get spark. Make sure the security light isn't on solid while you are cranking this. If it is, then it's a security issue, but the blinking check engine light seems like the ecm is the problem

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I thought they said if the number Match the computer from the junk yard it don't need to be program
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Negative, you would have to have all the keys and the nats transponder as well. The chip in the key holds the programming and sends it to the ecm so it will not disable the fuel injectors.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
but if I get one from junk yard I will have spark and then I can have someone program the computer correct?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Yes, the immobilizer only turns off the fuel injection, not spark, so you should know right away if the computer is causing the lack of spark.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok will keep u posted tomorrow thanks for now..
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

You're very welcome.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had a chance to work on the car again and I charged the battery but when I try to start the car it will crank but I notice smoke coming out by the driver side and there's a ground wire that goes from the body to the head of the engine
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

I would clean up that ground wire. Especially if its a large ground. Hadn't seen a bad ground cause this with this model, but it could be making the check engine light flash.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is that one
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

That's not one I would consider a major ground, but they all count. I can't see that as the smoking gun though to be honest.

The flashing check engine light really bothers me. Make sure the main ground from the battery isn't broken

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is not flashing anymore but still no spark..
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Security light is out with the key on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Ok

still no codes?

If not, try unplugging the bank 1 cam sensor and see if you get any spark.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no spark I unplugged both cams and nothing
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Still thinking you have an issue with the computer on this.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
which is the signal cable in the computer to see if there signal coming out I couldn't get my hands in a computer today I really want to be sure it needs one
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Sorry, I am not sure what you are asking me?

Signal cable? Do you mean wire?
and signal for what? lol

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
wire to fire up the coils..
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

The odd color on each coil is the signal wire. all will have the same color power wire, same color ground wire, then there are 6 different color wires, those are the signal wires.

ground comes from the computer to trigger the coil and make it fire.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
but at the computer which is the wire I can check to see if is ok
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Here is a diagram of the harness connector on the computer. The colors are the same at the injector as the computer end.

I highlighted the group of 6 wires

g/r #81, #80 GY #79 GY/R

#60 Pu/W, #61 blue/red #62 Y/R

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what do I have to have at this wires when cranking the car?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

you should see them go to ground.

However the real method of testing is checking resistance on each wire to make sure they aren't broken