Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 year as a ASE Tech
7276279

I have a 99 Infiniti G20 and have been experiencing some

Customer Question

I have a 99 Infiniti G20 and have been experiencing some transmission issues.
From a stop it will idle around 500/600rpms and accelerate smoothly, up until 3,500 rpms before switching into second gear, which is not exactly a smooth shift. From second into 3rd it seems to accelerate smoothly and not shift until the same 3,500 / 4,000 rpms. Sometimes I have to lift my foot off of the accelerator to ease it into the next gear. From this it shifts pretty smoothly but seems to have no power. Getting the car up to a speed of say 40 or 50 doesn't take much time but it does have hard shifts, any speed over 50 takes awhile to achieve, but it runs very smooth.
The car has 146k miles on it, and the motor runs very well, I want to keep it but don't necessarily want to throw a ton of money at it. Any advice?
Tranny fluid is dark, and was low, so I added some Lucas tranny stop slip, which honestly I don't think did much besides add a volume of liquid.
Thanks!
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello David , my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. In order to determine if the problem your having is an internal problem due to a failing transmission or an electronic control issue you are going to need to start with having the system scanned to see if there are any fault codes setting. If you can get this done and post back with the results I will see if I can help you with this problem.