Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 year as a ASE Tech

My alternator went out on my 2005 infinity q45. I changed it

Customer Question

my alternator went out on my 2005 infinity q45. I changed it and the car cranked up and ran yesterday. This morning I tried to start it and it will turn over, but won't start. Security light is staying a constant red too. Don't know if that has anything to do with it. When I put the fob in the ignition it won't turn. But it will turn with the mechanical key.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It's in park. Don't know if it has that feature
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I'm stuck at home. So far all I tried was unplugging the injection fuse. Because I read on a forum that it might be flooded. Tried cranking it with that unplugged and then plugged it back in. Still won't start and I can't make the security light go off
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Do you have any suggestions?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The new alternator had a different type of plug than the old one. I had to take the old plug pigtail off and replace it with one that would fit into the new alternator
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark at the spark plugs, injector pulse at the injector and proper fuel pressure. In order to determine why your is not starting you are going to need to check each one of these things and determine which signal you are lacking. If you can do this and post back with the result I will help you determine the cause. If would also be very helpful if you can scan the computer system and see if there are any fault codes setting and post back with them as well.