sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I lost my key to my 1998 Q45 Infiniti. What is the cheapest

Customer Question

I lost my key to my 1998 Q45 Infiniti. What is the cheapest way I can get another key? I went online to find a code for the key thinking maybe this would cut the cost. The local locksmith's quote is $300 - $400 to make the key. He quoted the $300 if he could find the code online.
Please help me!
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The cheapest would be to use an aftermarket key. That's what the locksmith is going to use but you'd have to pay markup. You can buy your own key and supply it as long as the locksmith is willing to cut and program it. Here is a link to an aftermarket I would recommend.

A dealer is going to need to supply the code. They will usually give you the code if you supply them the VIN and proof of ownership.

Either a locksmith or a dealer can cut and program the key. A locksmith is going to charge to come to the vehicle and a dealer wouldn't normally come to you unless you're close to the dealer. You would likely have to tow it to a dealer which would end up costing about the same as having a locksmith come to you. Price will vary depending on where you go, but my dealer charges just under $35 to cut and program a key.