Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 year as a ASE Tech
7276279

My convertible top on my 2010 G37 got stuck a couple times

Customer Question

My convertible top on my 2010 G37 got stuck a couple times in the up position. Was able to get it to come down but now have the car at the dealership and they are telling me the "parcel shelf siezed mid cycle coming off bracket, catching headliner - which in turn deformed or bent some headliner wires. theres "excessive play" now in the track assembly. I have an extended warrantee, but apparently this isnt covered.....They're telling me it's gonna cost over 5K to fix. I'm hoping to find somewhere else to go or for a second opinion her in San Diego
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: Didnt check fuses and don't have a wiring diagram. When the top was up I could hear a little rattling in the back (which I have had happen before and had to have adjustments made).
JA: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?
Customer: 2010 G37
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Unfortunately I left it at the dealers. They told me to contact consumers to see if I could get them to help pay for the costs.....Consumers told me that they wouldn't be able to address my problem until the 5th of July due to the holiday. In the meantime, the dealer gave me a loaner car....
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: With the car not being here, I guess it's hard for me to do much. I wish I'd have seen this site before I took the car in.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

See the link below for a good source of getting the second opinion you needing on your top repair. Give them a call and see if then can help you with this.

http://www.sunroadcollisioncenter.com/san-diego-auto-body?&l2tadgroupid=13976&gclid=CjwKEAjwzN27BRDFn9aAwLmH2yISJABWuEXcebZjHljIx9xsLUV7eUI77QUoZDOoch7G3ofDN8ywmhoC-z7w_wcB

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ron, read the reviews which were a bit scary. They DO NOT repair convertible tops...They send them out to some other place. My concern is that from what I've read, the problem with the tops stopping in mid air (then coming on once you shut the car off then restart) could be related to a system "fault" or battery problem. I've been having battery problems so I'm wondering if that could be the real culprit. When the top is moving there are no abnormal sounds or movements. It just stops in mid air and won't close until I stop and restart the car. Any ideas?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

A bad or weak battery sure could cause problem so if you are suspecting the battery may be failing then I would start first with having it checked and replaced if needed and then recheck the top operation.