Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

2009 infiniti g37x non start - dealer claims steering lock

Customer Question

2009 infiniti g37x non start - dealer claims steering lock solenoid replacement $1,400. part to be replaced. is there bypass/workaround? don't care about steering lock for security reason. only want start to function
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I have seen this before. I actually made a video showing how to get the car started when this happens. But yeah, the control unit will need to be replaced. No programming required though.. Hang on, let me get you the video

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
awaiting video
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
your response "Hang on, let me get you the video". When can I expect to receive the link?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
once again "your response "Hang on, let me get you the video". When can I expect to receive the link?"
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Sorry... working..getting now

Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

sorry for the delay. That is the video. You can try tapping the control unit with a hammer to get it going and it may continue to work. If it starts to happen more frequently, you will want to replace it.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Jay, waiting for a response to my text message sent you at 11:11am
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.
I did not get a reply at 11:11 from you. What did you say?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Jay, refer to the original/first message I sent. I asked for a bypass/workaround rather than having to replace the control unit at a cost of $1500. That's not what you provided. For example: I wish to bridge two wires in the plug that connects to the control unit - completely and permanently removing the control unit from the equation - and I need you to advise the colors of the wires (if this will do the job) to allow for this procedure. Failing this, another/alternative permanent workaround may be acceptable.
Incidentally, I am not requesting the Infiniti manufacturer/dealership assistance, I can obtain that in a few seconds but at huge cost. I am requesting an independent/individual persons assistance through "justanswers .com at a cost of $24. which is what the service claims to provide.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Jay please confirm receipt of the following/previously submitted:30 June 2016 12:03 Eastern Time
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

I see your response now. There is no way to by pass it. The steering lock system is a control unit as well. It's all tied into the push button start system. So it can not be by passed. The only thing you can do is tap it with a hammer to get it working and it could work for a long time after that. I had one that lasted a year before it acted up again. Then the second time it acted up they replaced it. So it's up to you. I just pretty much told you what you needed to do to get the car running.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Suggest you review the original request. "Is there bypass/WORKAROUND. YOU accepted the job/request as stated therein. I expect a refund of the charge. Confirm