Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

I just bought a 2008 infiniti 35 all wheel drive with

Customer Question

Hi guys. I just bought a 2008 infiniti 35 all wheel drive with 118,000miles about a month ago.It has been a dream car until about a week and 1/2 ago when all of a sudden the temp guage starting going very eradic and then would go to the top and cause the rev limeter to kick in at 2000rpm.the coolant is perfect,the fan kicks in and the engine is cool as a cucumber so I brought it to a guy that put in a new coolant sensor figuring we had it fixed.It worked for about 80 miles and now back to the same thing.I do not have my code reader with me but had to go the last 50 miles keeping it under 2000rpm.The engine is not even warm or kicking out any steam. The a.c works fine and the car purrs beautifully under 2000 rpm.I am in a tight spot because the nearest infinity dealer is a ways away and we really need the car by the weekend.Our local mechanics can easily replace sensors but could use some advice if you have other suggestions.
Category: Infiniti
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I know the car is not actually over heating i.is there a way to bypass the limp mode rev limiter or one the sensor s so I can make a 500 mile trip and fix it properly when I have more time
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tom replied 9 months ago.

Ok so when all this happens the check engine light never comes on ?Let me ask you has the engine been checked for vacuum leaks or the thermostat changed and the cooling system bled?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just bought the car a month ago from a dealer that did the 100 point inspection.coolant look brand new and spotless.i am actually at a garage right now and after it shows hot on the gauge the mechanic just checked it and it was only 120 degrees.the check engine light does come on and it is now throwing a p1217 which refers back to coolant
.it only happens about after 20 minutes of driving which seems odd but if coolant or circulation were truly the problem wouldn't the motor be a whole lot hotter
Expert:  Tom replied 9 months ago.

Not if the thermostat is stuck open it would not .I think one of two things you have a bad coolant temperature sensor and the coolant has air pockets in it causing the idle surge or the thermostat is stuck open which will also cause this issue .This is where they need to focus.I would change the thermostat and completely get all the air out of the system and this should fix the issue .this is the next step.Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks .Bonuses greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Since the last time we spoke, I brought my car in and we discovered that even though the reservoir was 100% full the radiator was down over a gallon, we filled up the radiator and everything worked great for about three hours of driving and then the needle started showing hot again. The first thing I checked was the coolant in the radiator and as I opened the cap there was tremendous built up pressure that actually bubbled through the reservoir. It does not have all the telltale signs of a blown head gasket because it runs perfectly and there is no visible white smoke blowing froming the tail pipe and no smell of burning sulphur. There is however have a bubble coming up through the radiator cap about one bubble every two seconds. I'm guessing there is a small head gasket leak.. There is no coolant in the oil. The oil cap does not look murky but I do wonder why the reservoir stays full? I tried putting a little air in to the reservoir to see if it will go into the radiator and it does do that through the top of the holes by the radiator fill cap like I'm assuming it should....I don't understand why my reservoir stays full and doesn't replenish the radiator. Thank you Tim
Expert:  Tom replied 8 months ago.

OK this is all due to a stuck thermostat or air in the system I still doubt it's the headgasket. I would have a shop drain al the coolant replace the thermostat and bleed all the air out of the system. This should take care of the issue the key is to bleed the system correct to remove all the air.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Tom:I drained the radiator. the coolant looked like brand new.I flushed the radiator with some radiator flush and refilled it.I did buy a new thermostat but for some reason it did not come with a new gasket so I didn't quite dare put that in because I was real limited in time if it leaked. I did notice after flushing and filling that I have a slight leak coming from the front right hand side. I pulled the whole plastic cover off the bottom of the car but could not detect exactly where it was coming from. My wide had to leave for a 250mile trip the next day so against some peoples better judgement I bought some pretty highly recommended pour in gasket sealer that is supposed to seal up all kinds of leaks.It actually worked mostly.We made the 250 mile trip and nothing ran hot. I was about 10 ounces low in the radiator but the reservoir completely full. I don't quite understand why the reservoir does not replenish the radiator. Does that go back to being pressurized? Is there a air bleeder in this 3.5 Nissan motor somewhere?