Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

MY 2003 G35 HAS A BATERY DRAIN RELATED TO THE AC AND RADIO.

Customer Question

MY 2003 G35 HAS A BATERY DRAIN RELATED TO THE AC AND RADIO. I WAS REMOVING THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL FROM THE BATTERY BUT INSTALLED A "TRICKLE" CHARGER WHICH TOOK CARE OF THAT PROBLEM. BUT, BY CONSTANTLY REMOVING THE POWER FROM THE CAR, THE AC AND RADIO BEGAN MALFUNCTIONING. SOMETIMES, THE AC WORKS BUT THE RADIO DOES NOT WORK; THEN THE AC IS STUCK ON "AUTO AC" BUT BLOWER MOTOR DOES NOT WORK. OTHER - AC WORKS (CAN TURN ON OR OFF) RADIO DOES NOT WORK AND BLOWER DOES NOT BLOW. AT ONE TIME, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT SHOWED THE ECM WAS DEFECTIVE.
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: STAYS ON - CURRENT SCENARIO IS THAT REDIO AND CASSETTE WORK BUT CANNOT TURN ON AC OR BLOWER. SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT NO LONGER ON.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I WANT TO FIX IT BUT WOULD BE OPEN TO REMOVING MYSELF AND SENDING OUT FOR REPAIR. WOULD THE REPAIR OF THE UNIT CORRECT THE BLOWER NOT BLOWING? OR IS THAT A SEPARATE ISSUE?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: SEE ANSWER ABOVE.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

When ever I get a Radio or AC issue on these older G's I like to just nip it in the bud. The best thing for you to do is to install what they call a Radio install kit along with a after market Radio. By doing this, you are eliminating the printed circuit board, the Radio and the AC controller. The Radio powers the AC controller and it always can cause problems. So by eliminating the radio and installing a after market radio you will now have all systems running separately so they are not inter twined and cause less issues. Plus you can get more up to date features such as USB, MP3 and Bluetooth.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Which vendor do you recommend using to purchase the after market radio and the install kit?
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

There are so many. The one I last used, the kit was around 170 bucks