Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer

AC Clutch won't engage. Used the low side gauge and it

Customer Question

AC Clutch won't engage. Used the low side gauge and it showed as 500ish psi (I know that is wrong) my question is, do I have to have a high side tester to insure what exactly the problem is?
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No, I was in line at a drive thru and suddenly ac just stopped working.....
JA: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?
Customer: sorry, 2007 g35 base
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I checked the low side pressure and it was almost pinned on the gauge that came with the kit. I already checked my other 3 cars, and they were all normal.
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: Yes, low side pressure showed as pegged
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: 2007 g35 infiniti
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The first step on diagnosing any AC operation issues is to first verify that the AC system has the proper amount of freon.

500 PSI is way wrong. If you had that kind of pressure, that is more pressure than the cylinders. The system can not hold 500 psi. Maybe 50 psi, not 500. So the first thing you will need to do is to have the AC system recovered to see how much freon is in the system. Then put the system into a Vacuum to see if it can hold a vacuum state. If it can, you have no leaks. The Vacuum would then help draw the freon into the system so you can then know you have the proper amount of freon in the system. If you do not know the amount of freon in the system, the AC pressure sensor will not allow the Ac to come on to protect the system from damage.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I get all that, my question is this, if I add r134a with the compressor clutch not engaging, and it turns out that low r134a is the problem, will the clutch engage as r134a enters the system?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

If you try to add freon to the system, the only pressure you have to add freon is what ever is in the can. Which is never enough. So you will end up wasting most of the can since the compressor can't draw the freon in to the system.

Those auto parts store Freon Cans are a joke.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when I used it on my other 2 cars, and it read exactly what it should, is because those compressors were working properly? I did not need to add to either. I suspect that it's the pressure sensor transducer switch. How can I force the clutch to engage?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

If you have a AC system that works, and it just needs a to be topped off, you can use those cans cause the compressor will help draw the freon in. If you have a Compressor that does not come on, then the store cans are pretty much a waste.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Again, how do I jump/force the clutch to come on? I have checked every fuse. I have done everything I can think of and I have turned wrenches for 30 years. Suggest something to do. I am not getting much from this, thus far.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

On these cars you can't. The AC relay is built into a control unit called the IPDM. So there is no way to force the compressor to come on. If you want to unplug the compressor and run your own hot wire, you can do that. But you do run risk of damaging the system.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll have to go back and look, but I am pretty certain it can be done. Could it be the transducer pressure switch? Honestly, what advice do you have? If it's simply take it to the dealer, I will be less than satisfied.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Most common, it's simply just low on freon due to a leak. You can get yellow gases and a black light and look at all the lines and condenser to see if you have any leaks since the system comes with a dye in it.

But other than that, you always need to know there is the proper amount of freon in the system for it to operate before looking at any other possibilities.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You did not answer my question. Please refund the money and we'll be square, or I will cancel it thru paypal and.......
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

I mentioned if you wanted to jump the compressor to run your own hot wire to it. I also outline the most common reason for the compressor not to come on. Told you details on how to find a Ac leak in your AC system since it has dye it in. What more info do you need?

Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

What part of your question did I not answer? I am just wondering cause I am doing my best to help you.

Let me know..