peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

The steering wheel is locked on my M45 Infiniti I tried

Customer Question

The steering wheel is locked on my M45 Infiniti I tried turning the key and turning the wheel both left and right not working
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Just a tow truck driver put it in neutral no wheel locks
JA: What year is your M45?
Customer: 2004
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I put the key in the ignition pull the steering wheel to the left try to unlock it logo turn it to the right try to unlock it no go wiggle the key as hard as I could with the steering wheel as hard as I could
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I change the battery in the remote
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Your model here uses an electronic steering lock assembly with control unit.Most common to cause this issue here is an internal electrical fault in the steering lock itself with the lock needing replaced.I have seen the lock fail before in the past needing replaced for issues like this here and suspect this is the cause on your model.

In some cases you can tap on this lock to get it to work again but this may not work and if it does it is usually only temporarily until it acts up again.I suspect your lock needs replaced and usually needs obtained from a salvage yard or dealer.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete