Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I have a 06 infiniti m35 and the audio isn't working

Customer Question

Hello I have a 06 infiniti m35 and the audio isn't working for the satelite radio and the cd changer....it is working for the dvd player. I tried running the self diagnosis but it was unable to start "due to a control unit malfunction". I don't know where to start please help. I also have the mobile entertainment system.
Category: Infiniti
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Does this car have navigation? Also did you check all fuses using a test light?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi....Yes it has navigation and No I haven't checked the fuses. Which fuses should I check?
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Well first thing with a situation like this, I would check all fuses inside the car and under the hood with a test light. Do you have a test light?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok..I will try that first..yes i have a test light
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Perfect, let me know what you find and if you know how to check fuses with a test light.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I checked all the fuses under the hood and in the interior with the test light and they are all working...
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

If all fuses are good and have been tested with a test light, the the hard drive in the Radio has failed and the radio will need to be removed and sent out for repair. Or see if there is a Exchange unit available. But based on the original response and image, if it's not a fuse, then it's the Radio that has failed.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was looking online and i seen there are 2 ways to do the diagnosis 1) the self diagnosis which is the pic I sent and faile and 2) with a scan tool. What about that? Also from looking at he schematics it appears the navi control unit in the glove box could be the culprit but you are saying the hard drive in the radio which is located in the middle of the dash?
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

The problem is that you can't perform self diag properly through the radio. So you would have to use a scan tool to see if there is any communication to the radio.