Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

I own a 2006 QX56, which I bought new at Infinity in Danvers

Customer Question

I own a 2006 QX56, which I bought new at Kelly Infinity in Danvers Ma. It has been dealer maintained, has @ 105,000 miles on it... the only major cost was about two years ago a bunch of lights went off on dash and it went into "limp mode" it cost around $1000 for a valve body and was perfect since. Two days ago almost in front of the dealership, I accelerated hard from a stop light and heard a "pop" and the transmission went out of gear and you can only go very slow forward and back before it just spins... no fancy lights this time....left it at the dealer and they said "its broke" needs a new transmission (re-built) for $5,000. I had it transported to my brothers private auto repair shop... any ideas what to look for (blown seal?) before I have it opened up? (valve body?).
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

The most common failure on these transmissions is usually valve body related. If it made a pop like something broke then I would be skeptical that something more than a valve body might have failed.

I would pull the transmission pan and look for metal, bad solenoids, signs of fluid contamination (sometimes the transmission cooler and radiator leak into one another).

Also, it's a 4wd vehicle right? I'm wondering if something in the rear axle snapped and it is now running on the front axle only. It's a long shot, but the pop noise is throwing me off a little. They usually just start slipping when the transmission fails.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Maybe I imagined the "pop" I meant it failed just like that..... I drove it off the flat bed and so forth but it's clunking
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Clunking isn't a normal transmission failure either. My bet is that something in the drive-line, either the transfer case or drive shafts is the real problem. It's really hard to say without looking at it.

There are very few "common" failures with these transmissions.

Has anyone scanned for trouble codes yet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I just talked to mechanic, I'll use our Maxidas 908 (just came in) on it today or tomorrow... He thought the same about the drive linkage as well
We'll get into it Thursday it looks like and I'll get back to you if we need consultation....
Thank you very much(###) ###-####Anytime
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good. I'll be happy to offer any additional insights that I can.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Let me know if you need any additional help with this.

Please don't forget to rate my service-that's how just answer knows to pay us
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yeah they started yesterday, drove it till it warmed up and started malfunctioning, (he said reverse is perfect) sprayed the pan bolts in anticipation of removal
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll text or call when we pull the valve body off I guess....maybe you can suggest a source for reasonable priced replacement, test procedure (within reason) what deal could explain pressure loss etc
***** *****(###) ###-####
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

If it runs ok until it warms up I would suspect a problem with the valve body. It is probably somehow pulling away from the sealing surface and creating a pressure loss- maybe an easy fix once you get in there.