Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

My 2004 indiniti gets hot when I drive it but I can set hour

Customer Question

My 2004 indiniti gets hot when I drive it but I can set for an hour it not get hot but I take off in it an it gets hot 1/2 mile down the road I put new thermostats heat sensor. Flushed out system. Put 2 new cooling fans on it. What else can it be. I am going to change water pump in the morning help me please oh an I burp. It several times unless I not doing it rite
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Can you tell me how you have been bleeding the coolant system?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is a plug on heater hose I fill artist or up till water comes out of the plug. An then I took a funnel. In ratatouille. Cap an filled with water an started it. It got white water did an pushback out but gage was normal
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I get n ready to put water pump on what do u think I need to do.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I got new fans. New thermostats. An heats sensor
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
After the car starts get n hot it spits back up out of radiator hole where u fill it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Any help will do but what should I do next. Should I put water pump on it or am I not get n all the air out of the system
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Sorry, I am currently working. I will be back online around 7 pm EST.

Can you wait till then?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sir I just need to get it fixed. I been mess n with it for a week. Any help will work. Thank u
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Ok, Thank you for waiting. I am going to describe how to bleed the coolant system so we can try that first. I don't use that little bleeder in the back. Normally if you bleed it the way I am about to tell you, it takes around 1/2 hour to a hour to bleed and you will be sure to get all the air out.

Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

To bleed the coolant system, remove the radiator cap. Install the coolant bucket ( See Links for images ). Fill the bucket about 1/2 way. Then raise the front of the car as high as if it were on ramps. This way if there is air in the coolant system, the circulation brings it to the highest point. Then turn on the car, and put the heat on speed number 4, recirc mode on, and face mode. You may need to rev the engine a few times to move the coolant around to get the air out. I also turn the engine off a couple times and wait 2 or 3 mins to let the air pocket move and bubble out. In the mean time you want to check your vents to see if your getting heat. After you have good heat, and little to no bubbles in the coolant bucket. Then the coolant system is properly bleed. You should have good heat when bleed properly. So when you put your hand over the vent and hold it there for 30 seconds, you get a slight burning sensation. That is perfect heat

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/fill%20rad.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Fill%20Rad%202.jpg

If you can't get a coolant bucket, you can use a funnel the same way. You just may need to pinch off the over flow hose.

Oh, also expect at one point it will bubble over and make a mess. So be prepared for that. I normally will try to shut the car off a couple times and let it sit a min to let it burp it's self out. But no matter what, it always bubbles over at least one time or more..

Give that a try and let me know how you make out

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank u very much. It's work n so far u r a life saver
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Jay I got the funnel bucket I have bleed it. An my temp. Gauge stays normal. Till I drive it bout 1/2 mile dos the road. Then the gauge goes. Up an I stop it go s. Down but some times it still gets hot 1/2 mile down the road. What should I do I never had one do like this. An my bottom. Radiator hose the big one has never got hot. Or real warm. What should I try now
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It spits water out. Of the funnel a lot do u think the water pump bout gone I should change it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Iam still can't get hot. Heat an bottom radiator hose not hot
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Do you find it has a pattern of bubbles that keep on coming while you are bleeding? Meaning the bubble really never stop?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It spits out of the funnel about a foot an I take Waterhouse cool it a little then shut caring it sucks lot of water down but then when I start it again it just comes rite back up
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The big bottom radiator hose is cool a heat mother hot it gersa little warm but nothot
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

How long are you trying to bleed the system? it normally takes a 1/2 hour to a hour. The one bubble your talking about you always get and makes a mess. Or is it constantly doing that?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It Isconstantly doing it
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

That is a sign of a bad head gasket I am afraid. Now you want to see if you can get the kit to measure hyrdo carbons in the coolant system to verify it's a head gasket.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there any gasket sealer that I can put in there that might work for me
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Or what can I do my opptions
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. The only option is to repair it. Using Gasket Sealer will only cause a restriction in the coolant system which will cause more issues.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

I never heard back from you. Did you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The temp gauge goes up an down it will get hot If I turn the air on an I put gasket sealer in it. It never changed any thing it will go to hot if I stop then it cool back down. When I start move n again with the air off. U think the water pump bad. The bottom radiator hose gets warm but not hot it was hot an I lose the bleeder valve on heater core. Blow out I had it lose all the water shot out then I wait a min then lose n the radiator cap an it had that much pressure to. Like it's blocked some place help me out what do I do
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The gauge go up on hot then it go back to marmalade when I take off with no a c on. I have done every thing to it. What can it be I work on cars iam 57 I been around a little bit. But got me puzzled. It mainly gets hot when it wants I drove it for an week to work never got hot then yesterday got real hot help me out on what to do
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

I mentioned no to use that. That it will cause a restriction in the coolant system.

How many miles are on this car? Water pumps are rare

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think bout. 120 an that is my next option I think it no civil set very good heat not get hot it gets warm not hot. An bottom hose on artist or not hot it gets warm
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

I doubt it's a water pump. You are most likely looking at a Fan issue by either a bad fan or a IPDM

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What is ipdm. I going to try water pump I guess my only option rite
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

No! I said it's not the water pump. You are not listening. I told you if it only is over heating when the AC is on, that is a fan issue

Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

IPDM is behind the battery. Intelligent Power Distribution Module

Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

If you installed a after market fan, that could be part of the problem. The IPDM may not be able to control it properly

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well I got it from o Riley's It was 250 for it. Dam Infiniti will be 600. One of the fans t kick n in high I guess I not look at which one. But it never had that much blown u can here the fan u know when a car oulls up fan loud to me. But u think the modular might be bad or the fan might not work rite an how is the best way to check it
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

I don't trust after market electrical parts. They cause to many problems. I would start with geting th correct fan for the car.

I need to get of line for the night. I will be online tomorrow night.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thank u I be holler at u in a few days ok let u know
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

You got it. Let me know

Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Never heard back from you. Checking in.

Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

Checking to see how you made out.. Let me know