Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer

Just got diagnosed w a front inner timing cover seals have

Customer Question

Just got diagnosed w a front inner timing cover seals have ruptured on the inside. I understand the labor is 16 hrs or so. Any suggestion on not getting it done at the dealership at $125/HR....
JA: How many miles are on the car? When was your last oil change?
Customer: 87K, about a month ago
JA: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?
Customer: 2009 G37s Coupe
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: haha, no. I don't posses the skill set for a job this big.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I am very familiar with this issue. Who is quoting you for this job? Dealer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the dealer. I have called around to a number of other Auto repair shops that I know and they all say that the job is too big for them.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Well here is a little trick for you. On your year G37, the back timing cover gasket you can't buy separately. You would need to buy the complete back timing cover assembly to replace that part which is why it takes so much more in labor. How ever, if you can get the gasket for a 2008 or 2007 G35 and the gasket is exactly the same and works. So you can then cut the labor time down to around 10 to 11 hours verses the 16 hours. The gasket is only around 22 bucks. But you also need sealer for the timing cover and oil of course.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was told and mentioned above that it is the FRONT inner timing cover seals. Will that still work?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

I know exactly which gasket fails. There are two on the back timing cover. The one big one is the one that goes. That gasket is the one that would be changed. You can buy that gasket if you get it for a 2007 G35 and it will work for your G37