Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I have a G37 convertible. When I close or open the

Customer Question

Hi, I have a G37 convertible. When I close or open the convertible top, the cycle seems to complete but the trunk isn't latching and the error msg "trunk open" is appearing.
JA: Has the battery died recently?
Customer: I can easily push the trunk to latch with no problem by hand. I don't know about battery, I just bought the car from a dealer today.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Don't know enough about what possible causes are to know if I could fix myself.
JA: Is there anything else the Infiniti Mechanic should be aware of about your Infiniti?
Customer: Nope, that's all that's happening
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Pop open the trunk and while it's open, see if the latch on the trunk lid is loose and let me know..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, checking
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nothing loose regarding the latch
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

You checked the trunk latch it on the trunk lid? It seems tight?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it does
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Ok then. Does the roof operate? Do not operate the roof with the vehicle not running. Let me know..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can easily just press on the trunk and latch it tight after opening or closing the roof, but just doesn't latch all the way during the automated process
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Roof operates fine, just trunk isn't latching at the end
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

You mean after you close it, it does not motorize it's self to complete the close?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The trunk lid closes, but doesn't completely latch at end of the process
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

The trunk latch is motorized. It should latch, then the motor kick in and draw it down a tight. If the latch is not doing that, you may have a motorized latch issue causing your problem.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Understood, don't think that's the issue because, I just used the trunk lid switch on the dash to pop it open and check the latch. When I just closed it, I could hear the automation inside that latched it tight.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

When you close the trunk you should see it lower when the latch motor closes it. Do you see that?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did. Just seems that's not happening at the end of the top open or close process
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

So it does appear to be a trunk latch motor issue if you don't see if lower tight after closing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I see it lower tight if I manually close it, but not at end of roof top open or close process
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

If you close it with force, it looks like it's closed tight. But if the latch motor does not complete it's cycle, you can get a trunk open warning like you are getting.

Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Your issue sounds like it's a electronic trunk latch issue since the trunk open switch is built into that latch.

Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
For some reason, the latch motor process isn't completing its cycle. If I close it manually, with little pressure, I hear the motor complete its process and trunk is tight. The trunk open error that appears on the dash at end of the process disappears if I manually push it closed.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

That is a trunk latch issue. The trunk switch is part of that latch assembly

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!