Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Infiniti i30 stalling problem (includes official dealer

Customer Question

Infiniti i30 stalling problem (includes official dealer diagnosis).
Category: Infiniti
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My 2001 Infiniti i30 has severe stalling issues. 15 minutes after ignition, the engine stops whenever the car comes to a stop, or sometimes when it's slowing down. I took it to a local shop, they couldn't figure it out after extensive tries, advised me to take it to an Infiniti dealer, I did, and I got the following diagnosis. Here's the rundown:DTC MAF SENSOR, FOUND LOWER REAR ENGINE MOUNT SHORT TO THE GROUND, UNABLE TO IDLE RELEARNING, RECOMMENDED IAC/V, MAF SENSOR AND ECM.
REPLACE ENGINE MOUNT WITH ECM $2,116.30
MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR REPLACEMENT WITH ENGINE AIR FILTER $443.00
IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE $918.00Those prices are not within my means, I can spare $1000 max for this fix. Is it doable? It also needs to be done by Wednesday (today is Saturday), so I'm doubly desperate. I live in Boston and I would take shop recommendations in our near Boston area. I can get the actual codes from the dealer if needed. Thank you very much in advance.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

It's not unusual for the dealer to oversell to CYA, but the real repair seems to be what the code states and that would be the MAF. The computer set that code, so it is valid. Replace the air filter too, but don't it from the dealer, way too expensive

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ron, I'm not sure your answer helps me. The first part of your message is a standard copy/paste message that you send out to everyone, and the short second part does not answer my specific questions. Can the parts necessary for the fix be found quickly so that the car will be fixed by Wednesday? I don't mind paying up to a $1000 for a mechanic for the solution, as long as it's solved! Is it solvable for under $1000 until Wednesday? Or is it more likely that procuring the necessary parts going to take a longer time? There is no way I can solve this on my own, so I wouldn't want to commit to buying any parts on my own. Ideal solution would be to put me in contact with a trusted mechanic in the Boston area, but I realize that may not be possible. But I will give you a good review if you answer my specific questions. Thank you.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have the exact code numbers? Did you ever have a P0505 code at one point?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Jay, been watching your YouTube channel, that's how I found my way to here. Keep up the good work!Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your questions. The dealer I took it to is closed right now, so I can't call them and ask the code numbers. Does this rule out providing me answer altogether from the information I listed? I'm so desperate that I would even consider driving to New Jersey (which is I think where you are?) if you guaranteed that you or someone you trust would solve this issue for less than $1250 until Wednesday.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

If you have been surfing you tube, you may have encountered one of my video's I made. It's for the IAC, ECM issue. Do you recall seeing that one?

What state or where are you located?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm in Boston, MA. I watched many of your relevant videos with the hopes of figuring out the solution but I couldn't. Below diagnosis is all I know from the Infiniti dealer. Again, my budget is $1250 and I need it finished Wednesday evening the latest.Diagnosis:DTC MAF SENSOR, FOUND LOWER REAR ENGINE MOUNT SHORT TO THE GROUND, UNABLE TO IDLE RELEARNING, RECOMMENDED IAC/V, MAF SENSOR AND ECM.
REPLACE ENGINE MOUNT WITH ECM $2,116.30
IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE $918.00
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Well, i can certainly give you some direction on this.

First thing, simply unplug the engine mount. You will eliminate the electrical part of the mount operation, but you probably won't even feel it. Second, you will need to replace the Ecm and IAC together at the same time. Once you have replaced both parts, then you should be able to do the Idle Relearn. At that point it's just a matter of seeing if the MAF sensor code returns. If it does, then you will need a MAF sensor. But you want to approach this issue in this order. When you replace the ECM you will also need to program all the keys for the car.

If you would like to speak to me about this issue as well, I am available to speak to through premium service. Just giving you the option.

Do you have any more questions on this?