Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

My 2006 qx56 speedometer needle failed and is always at max

Customer Question

My 2006 qx56 speedometer needle failed and is always at max and my rpm never moves. Could this be the stepper motors inside the cluster?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer!

You are correct it is possible for the stepper motors to be the problem.

Try this procedure to sweep test the gauges The odometer should display a code when performed.

Send me the code and i will look up the information.

Meter/Gauge Operation and Odo/Trip Meter EKS00BC0 SELF-DIAGNOSIS FUNCTION The following items can be checked during Combination Meter Self-Diagnosis Mode.

● Gauge sweep and present gauge values.

● Illuminates all odometer, fuel, and engine temperature segments.

● Illuminates all micro controlled lamps/LED's regardless of switch configuration

. ● Displays estimated present battery voltage.

● Displays seat belt buckle switch LH status.

HOW TO INITIATE COMBINATION METER SELF- DIAGNOSIS MODE NOTE: Once entered, Combination Meter Self-Diagnosis Mode will function with the ignition switch in ON or START. Combination Meter Self-Diagnosis Mode will exit upon turning the ignition switch to OFF or ACC. To initiate Combination Meter Self-Diagnosis Mode, refer to the following procedure. 1. Turn the ignition switch ON, while holding the odometer/trip meter switch for 5 - 8 seconds. NOTE: If the diagnosis function is activated the odometer/trip meter will display tESt

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Displayed tESt
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what does that mean?

That means it initated self diagnosis mode. Did all of the gauges sweep?