Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 2000 Infiniti QX4 and while it starts and runs fine

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Infiniti QX4 and while it starts and runs fine for 10 minutes it then hesitates when trying to accelerate
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Infiniti. The Infiniti Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: After vehicle warms up RPM,s will rev but no acceleration
JA: Proper acceleration is so important to a safe drive. Luckily the mechanic I'm going to connect you with will have just the information you need to get this figured out ASAP. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Not sure! If it's the fuel pump Ill probably do it myself
JA: Is there anything else the Infiniti Mechanic should be aware of about your Infiniti?
Customer: No I've had it for 12+ years and I think I might be coming to the end of the line. So to speak
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** is going up but vehicle is not accelerating that would point toward a transmission problem. It is more likely a serious problem which is going to require a transmission rebuild or replacement, you can make sure fluid level is correct but after that I would recommend bringing to a transmission shop. Sorry about the bad news, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Even when vehicle is in park car sputters when reving engine
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Ok, you may have a couple problems. Is the check engine light on? Does it ever flash? Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

That problem does sound like a weak fuel pump but that shouldn't cause rpm to go up without vehicle acceleration, that sounds more like a transmission problem. With the sputtering problem I would connect a fuel pressure gauge and check pressure when it is running good and compare pressure to when it is running rough. Most parts stores have fuel pressure testers they will barrow out for free. If pressure is lower during rough running period replace the fuel pump. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.