Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

We are having problems with the rear door. It does not open

Customer Question

Hi, we are having problems with the rear door. It does not open after some water damage, not even manually. is there a fix that we could do ourselves for that?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Infiniti. The Infiniti Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: So the button for rear door auto open is not functioning and we can pry it open from the inside but we can get it to close using the button
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible, yes. Unless you have an estimate for how much the fix would be
JA: Is there anything else the Infiniti Mechanic should be aware of about your Infiniti?
Customer: The problem began when some fluid leaked in the trunk, we believe it may have tampered with the electric of the rear door. Otherwise the car is working perfectly
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What year and Model Infiniti is this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's 2011 infiniti fx35
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

This is most likely a door latch issue. These can be a bit of a pain to do. How handy are you?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am pretty handy and have access to a variety of tools
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Cool

Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

What you will need to do is remove the inside door panel while the door is closed. Do you know how to do this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

This video will help you a little.

Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Normally when the door does not open from inside or out, if you follow the outside door handle cable to where it goes into the latch, the lever is what jams up which keeps it in limbo which won't allow the door to open on either side. Once you get the door panel off just reach into the door and try to manually operate this lever. The latch assembly will need to be replaced. It costs around 80 bucks. So you want to make sure you have that when you start digging into the job. Worst case is to take a screw driver and hammer to pry away the plastic cover of the latch to get to the mechanics of it to manually operate the latch to open the door. Once you have the door open, you can then replace the latch.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had looked at the latch earlier,and it doesn't seem to be damaged. Is there an electrical fix to the problem?
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Visually it won't look bad. The lower outside door handle level is what sticks. It's not a electrical issue. The electrical part is only for the lock and unlock feature of the latch.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Even when we try the button, no sound comes from the door. Usually there is beeping and we can hear the latch but there is no sign the that button is functioning
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is for the trunk door, not the passenger doors
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

This is a rear door. It doesn't have touch entry. Oh. This is the hatch?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sorry if there was any confusion
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's the automated door for the trunk of the car
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Oh.. I was thinking this was a rear door. Ok. Try this and let me know if it starts to work. Disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins. Then connect it and let me know if it works.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK I will try now
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

I have seen rear latches and back door control units fail. Some times just disconnecting the battery can bring it back to operating conditions. Other wise, both the rear back door control unit and the latch needs to be replaced.

Also see if you can manually lift the hatch also when trying to manually open it. If it does not stay up on it's own it will need hatch stays.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The hatch does stay up and the auto close does work. Just cannot get it to open at all unless we pry it open from the inside
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Let me know if the battery disconnected for 15 mins works.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Where is the control unit for the hatch door?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would it maybe work if we reset it?
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Hold on, if I remember right, it's mounted on the door it's self. Hang on. Let me double check

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It did not work. It beeped once but stopped and now is not responding again.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

If it beeped once, that means the reset sort of worked. That tells me you will need the latch and control unit most likely. But it's best to have it diagnosed to verify.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!