Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer

My 2003 I35 is using 2 1/2 qts of oil per week. My mechanic

Customer Question

My 2003 I35 is using 2 1/2 qts of oil per week. My mechanic told me to take the car back where I got it (a used car dealer). When I called the dealer he told me because I used synthetic oil, it has ruined the engine. I couldn't find any such info on the internet. What do you thnk?
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 150,600 miles, it's a 6 cyl. I'm not sure of the engine size
JA: When was your last tune up?
Customer: I just got the car in March so I have not had a tuneup
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Not me personally but I have a mechanic I've been using
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
Hi im kevin the dealer is in another world all cars use a semi or fully synthetic oil .using fully synthetic oil will have no effect at all on engine seal it just the way the oil is made . The qaulity in fully synthetic oils are far superior to semi synthetic oil .putting this oil in your engine will have had no effect at all
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. When it comes to oils, you don't have to use a full Synthetic and it won't ruin the engine. That won't cause a oil consumption issue with your car. There are normally 3 things that can cause a oil consumption issue ( if you don't have any leaks of course ). First is the PCV valve. This allows the crank case to vent. If it can't vent, it will consume oil. The second is the valve cover. These valve covers are what the PCV valves go into. There is a Passage inside the valve cover that is part of the valve cover that if it's clogged, it will restrict the ability to allow the crank case to vent and it will consume oil. So I normally recommend to try the PCV valve first since that is the cheapest, then if that doesn't work. Then the Valve Cover. The last thing is the actual oil rings. If the oil rings are bad, it allows oil to burn off in the cylinders which will also give you a oil consumption problem. This would require a engine to be rebuilt or replaced. Those are the most common issues for a oil consumption problem with your 2003 I35 with a 3.5 engine Let me know if you have any more questions on this. Thanks Jay!
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.
Do you have any more questions on this?