Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I am an ASE certified Master Technician with over 15 years of Infiniti experience.
1627031

I'm Carla, the scenario, "Service Engine Soon" light on,

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Carla, the scenario, "Service Engine Soon" light on, temp gauge "H", high. Overheating. Pulled over, coolant [green liquid] leaking on ground. Opened hood, there is still coolant in reservoir. Was able to slowly make it home, still had to pull over due to rapid return to overheating. Did not open the gasket for water still it is still a hot engine.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Is there coolant circulation?
Customer: Visually could see in the reservoir. Spill over on the engine tray.
JA: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?
Customer: 2004 FX 35.
JA: When was your last tune up?
Customer: March 2016
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, I have to depend on mechanic. However wanted to see if there was any basic fluid checks etc. I could do.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am sorry to hear about your car. Can you tell me how many miles are on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Less then 45k since purchase 2004. What is your analysis? No previous history of leaking or over heating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Respectfully I was seeking an Infiniti specialist. Did not see listed on your info page.
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.
I am an Infiniti expert. If you would like for me to help you I can, or I can opt out if you prefer to wait for someone else.
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.
I am unable to make a phone call at this time. If you do not want to continue with this chat please let me know and I will opt out and allow another expert to help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for delay. IT glitch. Phone call not necessary. We can continue.
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Before starting the vehicle again you need to allow the engine to cool down and then check the coolant to see if it is low. If it is then it needs to be refilled. I would use just water at this point to fill it. Once you do I would run the engine for a period of time and see if the engine start to get hot. If it does turn it off before it gets too hot and allow the vehicle to sit. See if more fluid starts to leak from it. If not then it may just be a bad thermostat. If it does then that leak will need to be checked and repaired. Hopefully it is not something serious like a head gasket. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks...another question. What is the worst scenario $$$
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.
Worst case scenario is that the engine got hot enough to blow a head gasket. Usually it does not get hot enough to cause the block to fail. If it is a head gasket issue you are usually looking at about $2500+ to repair it.
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.
This does vary between shops so it may be a little less expensive that this, but this would be the average.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again. I was able to drive it home slowly. Lucky for me less then 2 miles from home allowed to pull over to curb and cool down. Would the head gasket still be busted if I could still drive?
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.
It can be, but if you kept it from getting too hot then you should be okay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sent pic. Prepared for Monday tow and budgeting. Appreciate your expertise at this late hour. Unless you have more I will sign off. You will receive top ratings. Again thanks at least I have a heads up on the situation.
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the picture. Coolant collecting there can be the result of a leaking radiator or water pump, but may also be from the overflow from the coolant getting too hot. Hopefully it is not too serious.
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry I was unable to get back to you last night. For some reason your responses did not show up on my side.