Derek Werner
Derek Werner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist

Infinti QX56 4x4: 2004 infinity qx56 Just replaced rear pads

Customer Question

2004 infinity qx56
Just replaced rear pads now brake light is on and soft pedal. What's this?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer! My name is Derek, a ASE certified master technician. I will be happy to assist you with your question. A brake light that turns on is usually set due to low brake fluid in the master cylinder. I would check the fluid level first. Did you remove a rear brake line, or open the rear brake bleeder when you replaced the brake pads?A soft pedal can be caused by air in the brake lines. Thanks Derek
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Only pad slap
ok great, so you compressed the caliper piston without loosing any brake fluid?Have you checked the brake fluid level?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's full
ok no problem, This is not a very common problem to have when just replacing the rear brake pads. Are you a Technician/ mechanic? Is there anything else you can tell me that may help me give you some more information. Like did the caliper piston compress easily? Did you lubricate the caliper pins?Are the caliper pins moving freely?
The caliper pins and brake pads should move freely in the caliper bracket. this all can cause a soft pedal.
are there any other warning lights on?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I'll give it a shot tomorrow
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No other lights are on
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Caliper did compress easy. Did not lube caliper pins.
make sure to lube the pins. If they are sticking it will cause a soft pedal. A brake light will set a DTC in the vehicle. I recommend scanning the vehicle to have a better idea of what is causing the light to stay on. Let me know what you find tomorrow. ThanksDerek
also i will be at work tomorrow, but i will be on periodically throughout the day to check back in with your question. I apologize in advance for any delay in my response.
Hi i am just checking back in with you. Did you have any luck getting the brakes fixed. If you could kindly rate my service it would be very appreciated so i can receive credit. I will continue to work with you even after rated, and get notifications about any other questions you may have. I only strive for excellent service, Thank you for being a great customer.Derek W