Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

2003 infiniti g35 my radiator went out few days ago i know

Customer Question

2003 infiniti g35 my radiator went out few days ago i know so because car suddenly started overheating popped hood n u could see radiator was blowing steam out the side so i replaced it today at 1st while letting car idle it was fine id say 20 min later it started to rise gets to top but it goes back down then back up not radically it does it slowly but it gets up there by the way installed everything ran to get antofreeze filled let run for 10 min without rad cap so air could get out but still please help
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I'm sorry you are having trouble with your Infiniti. I will try to help.
I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.
may I begin by asking, did you only replace your radiator? Or did you replace your thermostat as well? And do your cooling fans come on at all when it gets warm?
Let me know so I can be of further assistance.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Fans come on and strong at first i thought it was radiator so i took off thermostat n figid with it a little but left it back in
Do you have a thermometer? If so take the thermostat and put it in water on your stove and put the thermometer in the water as well and start heating the water. Watch the thermostat and when it starts to open look at temp of water. And continue watching till it is completely open. Let me know the temp as it starts to open and when it's completely open.
Also make sure the t-stat is completely submerged in water.
Let me know.Thanks
Sonny.
A thermometer that's used for cooking is best but any thermometer that will go up to 212 and is submersible is ok.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thanks will try that tomorrow
Sounds good.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When they get stuck closed will it open if u do it manually because it was opening when i did it manually and could it just be air in system
Yes they will still open manually. The way a t-stat works is a spring holds them shut and in the center is gass filled and as it heats up the gas expands and pushes against the spring until it over powers the spring at a certain temp. As they get old gas leaks out and they open late, eventually not opening at all (stuck shut). All it takes is for a little gas to leak out all of a sudden and it opens late.
It could be air in the system but from what you describe its acting more like a sticking thermostat. However you can also try raising the front of the car with a jack and jack stands so the radiator is the highest thing and run it while adding coolant. But I lean more torwards a sticking thermostat. But let me know what you want to do.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok cool will be back with more info tomorrow thanks alot
No problem. Anytime.
Hi, Did you get a chance to test the t-stat? If so do you have the temps that it would start to open and fully open at? Thanks Sonny
Hi, I was wondering what you found on the t-stat? If it is all fixed and my answers were helpful, could you rate my help as such? it is the only way I get compensated for helping. However if youneed further help, please feel free to ask.Thanks Sonny