Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer

I have a2012 I alternator JA: Sometimes things that you

Customer Question

I have a2012 I alternator
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Infiniti. The Infiniti Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Infiniti
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have a2012'Infiniti QX56. The other day it would not start the solenoid made a real faint click. I thought maybe the battery was bad so I installed a new one Now The volt meter fluctuates from 14.4 volts to 12.8 volts. I changed the alternator now it fluctuates from 14.4 to 13.4 volts. Before I n
JA: Cars do make very odd noises -- They help the mechanics figure out what's wrong. They are terrific with my old Grand Cherokee. Is there anything else important you think the Infiniti Mechanic should know about your Infiniti?
Customer: The volt meter fluctuates after a new battery and new alternator was installed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  CHRIS ZAPANTIS replied 5 months ago.
Hello I'm Chris and I can assist you. Let me know if you are still on
This is a normal condition. The voltage will fluctuate depending on the load and battery state of charge and also rpm's. To check if your alternator output is good check the voltage with a bunch of accessories on. You want it to maintain over 13 volts at idle. Ide say you fixed the car and dont worry about it.
One word of advice. To keep from damaging new alternator make sure your battery is fully charged before starting car. A new alternator can sometimes fail if forced to charge at or near full output when not broken in yet.