sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have 2011 QX 56. It won't start. Tried to jump it, but the

Customer Question

I have 2011 QX 56. It won't start. Tried to jump it, but the engine will not turnover to start.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Infiniti. The Infiniti Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I got the timing chain fixed about 2 months ago but from time to time i have to get the car jumped because there is something that it sucking the power out of the battery
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Infiniti Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If I can yes. But for anything more than replacing the battery, I may have to get it towed to a repair shop
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Infiniti Mechanic should know about your Infiniti?
Customer: I got a new 84 month battery put in about two years ago. So it should not be a bad battery but I am not sure.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!It's not likely that a two year old battery would have failed at this point but possible. It would be a good idea to have it tested, which can be done for free at most big chain parts stores and even Wal-Mart.With the battery fully charged you'll also need to do an ignition off draw test. An ammeter will need to be set up between a disconnected battery cable and it's post. After about ten minutes if the draw exceeds about 40 mA then there is cause for concern.At that point fuses would need to be removed one at a time to determine which circuit current is flowing on, and then components on that circuit can be concentrated on. Also keep in mind that an alternator can fail and cause a battery draw, if removing it's positive cable allows the draw to drop then the alternator will need to be replaced.