peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

Infiniti G37s: I have a 2009 g37s convertible with 64k on it.

Customer Question

I have a 2009 g37s convertible with 64k on it. It appears to have the "snakebite" scratches. The top has been giving me issues. Once the top is down I sometimes get a constant beep and roof in operation light on (constantly) and top wont go up. I took it to the dealer through a connection because the roof was closed and the roof in operation light came on and he said a hydraulic needed adjusting. He adjusted it. The top worked fine for about a month. About a week ago the roof in operation light went on again, and I noticed that it would cut in and out when I hit bumps in the road. I took it a second time to my connection at the dealer because the top wouldn't close and was told it needed a new hydraulic and would cost $7,000 to fix which I can't afford. I'm wondering if it was misdiagnosed and is a electrical problem or does it sound like to you that the hydraulic needs to be replaced? The top never showed to have any issues when it is in motion going up and down.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. From what is described here this sounds like an electrical fault with a limit/top position switch itself.I have seen some of these fail/act up before and cause issues like this here needing replaced.I would see if they had checked/tested these to see if one or more need replaced and if not this needs checked into by either the dealer or a local repair center that works on this model here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Pete. Is the part called the limit top position switch? Is this something you think I can replace myself? Where is the switch located?
Your welcome. I apologize for the delay. Unfortunately there are 7 of these switches on this model here.In order to locate which of these is the cause here a scan tool is needed to be plugged into your model that can communicate with all computers to check for fault codes first to see if any of the switches set a code making it easier to diagnose and repair and to observe the switch/sensor data to locate one at fault needing replaced.I suspect something like the cover lock switch or convertible top switch as this is 2 of the 7 that can cause what you have here and both are less then an hour to replace.Unfortunately my info is not showing how these are replaced exactly here and this does need checked further to locate which is the cause then replaced from there. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete