Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

My FX37 won't start. We tested battery, is OK. Replaced MAF

Customer Question

My FX37 won't start. We tested battery, is OK. Replaced MAF and Camshaftsensors. When pushing the startbutton, engine cranks, seems to start and shuts down. When I try again, only cranking. When waiting about 15 minutes, engine cranks and starts, but stops after 1-2 seconds. Also tested coils and sparkplugs, there's ignition for about 1-2 seconds
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. The mechanic will have thoughts on how you two can troubleshoot and diagnose this issue. How old is the battery?
Customer: New one, 2 months
JA: Anything else I can tell the Infiniti Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: When I'm able to start, it worked 2 times to get it running, I can't rev above 3500rpm. And the driving is awful, just like the AT does not know when to shift geat. Also, when the engine is warm, I can start it the whole dat. When it's cooled down overnight, same story ... Not starting
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with ABS (as well as brakes in general.) Do you happen to have the code? Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.Do you happen to know if there are any codes stored in the computer? Also how many miles are on the car?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had codes for the camshaft and maf-sensors. I replaced them. At this moment, no codes156.000km / 96.000 miles
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also put a scope on the ECU, to read the inputs coming from the cam and crankshaft sensors. All data arrives at the ECU
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
Are you at shop do you have access to a full-blown scanner? Also where did you buy these parts?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But, in the factory guide, there's this graphic:
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
And we have this:
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Car is at the shop. Parts were ordered via a Nissan-dealer
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
If you press the start button 2 times just so the ignition comes on is the security light on solid?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
If the security light is on solid when the key is in the on position you have a key programming problem and that's why the vehicle is not running do you have somebody that can program keys for you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Should be no problem. I'll check first if the sec.light is on solid to be 100% sure. Also tried with putting the key in the socket
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
Ok let me know. I will keep this question open so you can double check and get back to me. Sound good?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Perfect. Thanks!
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
You're welcome
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will this also cause the starter to crank the engine, or no starter at all? The readings with the scope are no issue?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No sec light
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We connected a Nissan-computer: C1A14 ecm circuit
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
Do you happen to know if you have fuel pressure?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
What year is this FX37? Can you monitor intake timing readings?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Afaik we have. We can read those timings. It's a 2009 fx37
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can hear the fuel pump switch on when pressing the button
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
Cool, do this for me. Set up the monitors to read intake timing. Then I want to know if one of the two intake timing readings is not moving as the engine is turning over, or if they are both moving? Let me know..
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I believe both are moving
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
With intake timing, do you mean the MAF-sensors
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
No, there arw intake timing readings for bank 1 and bank 2
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can't see those in the reader, so I presume I can't read them
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
Yes...those top two..
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
While the engine is turning over look at those values and let me know what you see
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
I will be back in a few
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll check
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Value was 16384 on both, now 29758 on both
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
And after another try back 16384
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
Are they moving when the engine is turning over?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
Do they look fairly even in operation? Also how many miles on the car?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
155.000km / 96.000 miles
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They move about the same
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But sometimes the value doesn't change also
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just tried, 6-7 cranks, no change in value
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
That is what I wanted to see. You could have a timing sprocket locking up which is keeping the car from starting. Does the engine show any signs of sludge from lack of maintenance?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No sludge visible
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oil changed 2500 miles ago
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
If the values are not changing that means the sprockets are not oscillating when the engine is turning over to allow it to start. You could have a back timing cover gasket failure, or timing sprocket failure causing this issue.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Some oil-sludge inside causing this?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
Most of the time caused by sludge, I have seen cases where if the car is run low on oil, it can cause it to seize. Or the back timing cover gasket fails and does not allow oil pressure to the sprockets.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
And what about the fact, if I can get it started, I can drive all day. As long the engine isn't cooled down
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
And the C1A14-error?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
Didn't know you had codes.. This no start issue is intermittent?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No-start happened suddenly. But when the engine is a little warm, it started but with a 3500rpm-limitThis afternoon we connected a Nissan-diagnose-computer which gave us the C1A14-code
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
And when I was able to get it started, I coule drive the rest of the day. When the engine was cooled down a little, starting was a little problem, when cooled down completely (overnight), almost impossible to start
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
This has Intelligent cruise control?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
See if you can unplug the laser and it start. I have seen ICC lasers internally short and feed back in the CAN system causing intermittent running issues and stalling You may have a ABS light and Brake light on if it starts, but this is only a test.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also tried that, that's the box behind the front bumper?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
Yes. it comes through the front bumper. I wonder if you have a exhaust restriction. Like a clogged catt. That could also cause no start or if it does start, not to run properly also.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Cats are taken off now, also one of my ideas :-)
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
so far the only thing that makes sense is something with the intake timing sprockets. That is the only thing that you have mentioned that sounds like it is not operating properly. Which would be like a timing issue when not working
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Would it help to put some warm/hot air to that area of the engine?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Or a stretched timing chain?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
These timing chains don't stretch. Try unplugging both MAF sensors and see if it starts and idles
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
Were did you get the CAM sensors you installed? Also did you have a code for them?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
I need to step out for a while. I will be back in a few hours or so. Can we continue then?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nothing, same with the maf-sensors
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sure, call when you're ready. I go sleeping, 10pm here 😁
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
C1130 too, code
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
On ABS
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
A small overview after checking my paper/log:8 weeks ago: All OK, entering the highway: 3500rpm-limit. Only once, no problem
6 weeks ago: Hard to start for a few days, but after 2 or 3 attempts, OK
5.5 weeks ago: Hard to start, after a few tries OK. 3500rpm-limit and P0340-error -> camshaft-sensors replaced
5 weeks ago: Hard to start, code (High-circuit MAF) -> MAF-sensors replaced
4 weeks ago: Burned my starter, tried to start too much -> Starter repaired
4 weeks ago untill today: Not able to start, don't dare too start too much for the starter :)Strangest thing is, when I try enough and the engine warms a little, I can start the car. The first few meters are not good. Humping and bumping, AT changing gears with a bang. When I shut down the car, get out and lock the door and get back in, car starts perfect and drives without the humping and bumping, but with the 3500rpm-limit. Also not possible to pull-up hard, in other words, I have to drive like a 80-year old ... :)When cooled down a little, 1 or 2 tries are needed to start the enine. Let the engine cool down for a night, the starting is an absolute nightmare.All the rest is mentioned before today, also the sensor readings I sent in the images at 12:03 and 12:04, I don't know if these are important or not
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
Sorry for the delay. A Ford F350 decided to rune my evening. I will be online tomorrow evening around 7 pm EST to continue to help you. Sorry for the delay. Talk to you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No problem!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just called a friend who drove my car the week before my problems started. He admits he drove 2 times with the fuel on reserve. He was able to tank 88 and 89 liters. Capacity is 90 liters
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
Ok... Sorry for the delay. I am online now.. Are you there?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes, still awake :-)
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
Did you happen to check fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Only thing i was able to check, is hearing the fuel pump switch on. Pressure not yet. Is there a check that stops the ignition at low fuel pressure?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
Well you could have a fuel pressure issue. The pump needs to put out 56 psi. If it doesn't, it will not give you enough gas to start the engine. Did you try using starting fluid to see if it would start?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We did, no change. Ignition stops after 1-2 seconds
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
Oh.. If you press and hold the Start button it will keep turning over..
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We'll try. Is there a way to read the full-flow or pressure via odb?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
No, the fuel system is not monitored. So if you have no codes, I would take a fuel sample, and check fuel pressure. You need a fuel pressure gauge to do that
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have that, first thing to do in the morning. I will let you know.There was a Nissan-dealer that said the engine needed to be replaced ... 17.400€
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
That intake timing readings tells me that if it's not fuel related, you have a intake timing sprocket issue. It is cheaper to replace them than a engine. If you would like, you can request the Premium service and we can speak on the phone if you like. That is a option also.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. But I'll check the pressure first within a few hours. 2.25am here :-)Anyhow, your help is much appreciated!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Bur this is no issue?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is what is shown in the manual:
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
That could be due to the intake timing sprockets. That is why I asked to monitor the intake timing while the engine is turning over.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
I am glad your using a Oscilloscope
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
I would pop the front timing cover off. That is the direction I would go. If the engine lines up to TDC, then replace the sprockets.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
and check the back timing cover gasket. This is the back gasket that can blow out. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Back%20timing%20cover%20gasket.jpg
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/back%20timing%20cover%20gasket%202.jpg
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, we'll do this today and I keep you posted.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Fuel-pressure is 3.1-3.3bar
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The C1A14-error is no issue?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
What is the fuel pressures PSI? If the C1A14 is the only code you have, that could be due to a bad laser. But it sound like your issue is a timing sprocket issue. Sorry for the delay, been having technical issues.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No problem. Pressure is +\- 59 psi
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The laser worked fine last time I was able to drive
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
That code could be from when you unplugged it then. I would just clear it. Based on the intake timing not moving at times when the engine is turning over and your scope readings are shifted, there has to be something up with the intake timing. If a sprocket is not moving or is not operating it will not allow the car to start.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can these be cleaned or need they to be replaced?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
They would need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just checked. When the laser is connected and I reset the error it just comes back.Costly repair to replace those parts?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
if it's the laser..hell yeah!!! That sucker is around 1500 just for the part
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
And the sprockets?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
Have to head to work.. I will be online later if you have any more questions on this. Sprockets are around 500 each
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a engine for 5000€, 30000 miles on it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks again!
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
Your welcome!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is this what I need:http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/2008-2013-Infiniti-G37-M37-FX37-EX37-Engine-Variable-Timing-Solenoid-OEM-/182080428846?hash=item2a64d6db2e:g:vFsAAOSwo6lWNrT2?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
no, those are VVEL motors
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you have a part-number? Thanks!
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
sorry I do not. I can snap a picture of what they are exactly if you need it. I can do that later when I get home from work. Let me know..
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That would be nice, thanks!
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnW2NclDbi0 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/intake%20timing%20sprockets.jpg