Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer

I have a 2003 Infiniti g35 coupe. It has an aftermarket alarm

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Infiniti g35 coupe. It has an aftermarket alarm with remote start. I had an independent automotive computer tech try to program a factory key for me and he was unable to do it. I then took it to a Infiniti dealer and they also could not do it. I asked what's my next step and the service advisor said he had no clue. I asked if it could be the aftermarket alarm or the BCM oe ECM and he said he wasn't sure because their are no codes being listed for any problems of those components. He also said they have programmed many keys with cars that have aftermarket alarms with remote start and never had any issues. Do you have any idea what's wrong? Keep in mind before I took it to the dealer I did remove the key that's required under the dash for the remote start to operate
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I supplied the dealer with two factory keys and the factory key that needed programming
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Infiniti Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. Are all the keys and the remote start key all Factory Infiniti Keys? or is one of them after market?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Everything is factory. The one I use to start the car is the original and so is the one that was used for the remote start and the third was bought directly from the dealer. Just so you know I'm an autobody tech incase that helps. I
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
At this point right now, none of the keys are able to start the car? or does some work?
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
2003 is a odd year. That is the year that some may have had Pins that needed to be decoded, and some used the standard 5523 code. Do you know if that code was tried when programming your keys? I will be getting off line soon for the night. I will be back online tomorrow around 7 pm EST to continue. Let me know..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Two original keys that came with the car from when new work ok, I just need one more key programmed. That key was purchased from the dealer but they cannot program it for some reason. Ok thank you I'll wait to hear from you.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
Maybe it is a defective key if the 2 original ones program. I would ask them to try another key.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The two that work came with the car from brand new and were never programmed. Wouldn't the dealers scanner pick up on a defective key? It's shocking to me that they can't pin point the problem.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
When they start the key programming process, all keys get erased. So if you have 2 keys that still work, that tells me that 2 keys can be programmed, but one can not. What dealer was this done at? Nissan or Infiniti?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was done at Infiniti of the main line in Ardmore, PA.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you think If I put a new immobilizer in that would work?
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
You actually live fairly close to my parents. They live in Phoenixville. I am Northern NJ. The one key that does not program, is that for the remote start?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
O yes, there is a movie theater I go to in Phoenixville. No, I bought an extra key so I can have 2 spares and one for remote start.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
You brought those 2 keys at the dealer? So you have a total of 4 keys?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No three total, two that work and one from the dealer that needs programming.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
It may be easier if we spoke.. I have some idea's on how to help you, but it would be better if we spoke
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you think changing immobilizer would work?
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.
Not if 2 keys program and 1 does not. If you have a key that starts the car, there is nothing wrong with the Nats antenna.