Mike V.
Mike V., Infiniti Mechanic
Experience:  Factory trained to repair Nissan and Subaru.

11 Infiniti g37 engine light just came on and loss of

Customer Question

11 Infiniti g37 engine light just came on and loss of acceleration with jerking
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Light came on while driving just turned vehicle back on after leaving store pulled over turned car off light went off no jerking or acceleration issue
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Infiniti Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

HI there,

Did the car continue to jerk when the light was on or did you just lose your acceleration all together?
How many miles on the car please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Jerking and lost acceleration at the same time like putt putt putt but after pulling over and turning car off and then restarting no light no jerking
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

It sounds like you have a bad coil or one going bad. If the light would stay on you could have the codes scanned and it will tell you which cylinder has the misfire. I wanted to be clear because the throttle is electronic and could give you a similar situation however usually you would only get one jerk and then the loss of power.

The coils will sometimes only fail under the right circumstances, this explains the light clearing itself and the car returning to normal. This makes it tough to figure out which coil is the problem until the light stays on solid, then you will get the code for the specific cylinder and be able to replace just the one coil.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

did you need further assistance with this?