Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

I have an Infiniti I35 2004. it was running fine until last

Customer Question

Hello, I have an Infiniti I35 2004. it was running fine until last week. I stopped at a traffic light, the engine did not die but when the light turned green it will only move at idle pace 5-7 mph only. was not able to even climb up a tiny hill. The next morning it ran fine. I'm worried it may happen again
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Did you notice any warning lights on the dash when this occurred or since it occurred? Also, did you see the check engine light come on? What is the approximate mileage on the vehicle? thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No lights, mileage is 166500
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hello
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Hello, let me have just a few minutes on my end please. Thank you!

Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

One thing I would suggest, is stopping by a local auto parts store, such as Oreilly or Auto Zone, and have them scan for codes. I strongly believe you likely have 1 or more codes stored in the Engine computer that is associated with this problem, and I would be surprised if you didn't. This throttle body is electronic, and you do not have a throttle cable like older cars, the throttle plate is opened by an electronic motor which allows the vehicle to accelerate. My thoughts are, either a sensor or connection kept the throttle plate from opening when it should have, or the actual throttle body itself is defective. In which case you would need to replace the throttle body. But before replacing the throttle body, I would want to check codes first. The throttle body is around 150$ online, and would need to be programmed before using with an advanced type scan tool. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The only code that came up is P1800. Do you think it has anything to do with transmission at all?
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

If all your getting is a P1800, then I do not believe there to be anything wrong with the tranny, as tranny codes start with a 7. such as P0735 etc.

This P1800 is interesting, and is almost always caused by a faulty variable intake air control solenoid. I do not believe that is all of your problem however is the vehicle wouldn't accelerate. I would suggest trying another solenoid to get rid of that P1800 code however. It is located here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What about the Mass airflow sensor?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Does that have anything to do with acceleration?
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

It does, but again, these cars are really sensitive, If something went out of range big enough to cause an acceleration problem, it would set a code in my opinion. So if you only have a P1800, I would start by replacing that intake air control solenoid, then see if it does it again, if it does it again, check codes again and see what you have then.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Let me know if you have any further questions. I try hard to provide 5 star service, so don't hesitate to ask me anything else if you need to. Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok will do
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Hello, Thought I would follow up, Any luck with getting the P1800 out? Thank you.